Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

show all tasks impacted from start to finish for multiple tasks

9 replies [Last post]
Eoin Flannery
User offline. Last seen 7 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi

I am struggling to define what i am lookingg for but here goes,

I am looking to filter my schedule (gantt chart) and trace the logic to see which task are the sucessors sucessor sucussor et al. from start to finish for multiple tasks

I have used the trace logic but it doesn't give me the view i am looking for.

Basically we have multiple drawings which are running late but i want to filter for only the tasks which are impacted going forward, through to the end of the project.

Hope this makes sense and hopefully someone can suggest how to filter or display the above.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

Eoin, if you will not find cheap add-on look at Spider Project Lite.

It can import and export xer files and does all necessary analysis.

It is most simple version of Spider Project that is called Lite but it is much more functional than P6. It includes direct work with activity volumes of work and resource quantities, permits to create multiple WBS, to use unlimited number of cost components, includes skill scheduling and a lot more. I don't know its limits on schedule size because did not use it for scheduling projects containing more than 800000 activities.

It will do this simple task you are looking for but it can do much more like optimize your resource constrained schedules.

If you will need more advanced functionality like risk simulation, portfolio management, etc. look at more expensive versions of Spider Project.

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 26 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

I do not know of any tool I use this technique all of the time and it works fine. Any tools would also be prone to errors. You only have to do this once and you have it. Even on avery large network it would not take more than 5 minutes

Eoin Flannery
User offline. Last seen 7 years 14 weeks ago. Offline

thanks for all youir responses.

In essence each approach is a "manual" approach. either applying a filter or a label or an alaysis of some way.

this is time consuming and i guess prone to error. 

is there an addon or analysis tool that could assist with what i am looking for?

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 13 hours 40 min ago. Offline

Resource Constraints can be another driving constraint never to be overlooked.  These temporal constraints are invisible to Longest Path Theory that breaks under resource constraints of any type, an archaic methodology based on 1960’s CPM theory.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E17462_01/Web_Access/Help/en/Projects/Tasks/pm...

For simple resource constraints you might easily find the so called resource dependencies but not for more complex resource constraining such as consumable resources constraining.   Just imagine several brick installation activities, if bricks are not delivered on time some activities will be delayed until more bricks become available.  It is a no brainer but figuring out how best split the activities and their relationships is not easy.

Not always. Some activities may have start day constraint. They may follow project start milestone but this is artificial dependency. I am sure that you know many examples.

Zoltan Palffy

Vlad

every actviity should have a predecessor 

Tom Boyle
User offline. Last seen 2 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Eoin,

I would suggest that you follow Zoltan's method with a key exception: instead of starting from the suspected delayed activities and tracing backwards through driving PREDECESSORS, I would start with the delayed drawings (one at a time, as Zoltan suggests) and trace forward through the driven SUCCESSOR relationships to add all the directly-impacted/driven tasks to the filter.

While Multiple-Float-Path analysis allows handy tracing of the driving and near-driving paths to any END activity, P6 provides no corresponding method for tracing the driven and near-driven paths from any START activity.  You have to do it the hard way. (If you have many occasions to do it, then you may want to hunt for a suitable add-on program.)

Good luck, tmb 

Zoltan, I did not understand your proposal.

The question was about showing all tasks that are dependent on selected group of tasks.

You suggested instead to look at the predecessors. Why does it matter?

What if these activities do not have predecessors and their planned start was defined as constraint?

Please clarify.

In Spider Project this task requires two mouse clicks. It is amazing that it is so hard to apply this useful filter in P6.

Zoltan Palffy

here is what to do instead of look to see the logic to see which task are the sucessors I suggest that you start at the end and look for the predecessor that are driving you and running you late. 

creat a new code call it tracking and give it a code value of track

add this code as a column

in the relationships tab on the predecessors left hand right click and select customize predecessor columns and expand the general category can bring over the critical and driving as columns in the predecessor window.

only filter for ONE ACTIVITY which is the last actvity that is running late in the group that you are looking for 

go to the activity that you want to track now look at this predcessor and look for the activity that has both the driving AND the critical box checked cllick on that predecesor now at the bottom click GOTO

keep doing this by tracking back the driving and criticla predecessor with you get back to the data date or the activity that is already completed.

this is your drive for that activity

now in the coulumn that you just added called tracking click on the first activity and select the new code TRACK

now do a fill down for this column 

now you and filter for this column

If you have another activity that you want to track just add a new value TRACK1 and do the same thing.