Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Help required - baseline dates don't match the programme

9 replies [Last post]
Thomas Nicholson
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 5 hours ago. Offline
Groups: None

Morning all,

This morning I've been looking at a newly updated copy of a plan by a contractor, so as usual I use maintain baseline to import their submission last period so I can measure slippage against it. However I have noticed an issue.

plan submitted november

activity 1000 start 12-12-15 finish 31-12-15

plan submitted december

activitiy 1000 start 12-12-15A finish 4-1-16

This all makes sense however when the Nov one is imported and used as a project baseline against Dec one I get

Activity 1000 start 12-12-15A BL start 12-12-15 0 variance finish 4-1-16 BL finish 15-12-15 X amount of slippage,

as you can see the date in the baseline doesn't match the date in the november plan and when I look into it further it turns out that 15-12-15 is actually the Oct forecast date so I can't understand how or why my november plan used as a baseline is shoiwng an older date and not that in the November plan when opened seperately.

Any ideas? It's making a bit of a mockery with my trying to show slippage against last submission etc.

thanks

Replies

Thomas Nicholson

Hi Neil,

Thanks for your response, I've opened up the november programme seperately to see if it was an early/late start/finish but it didn't correspond with any date held in the november update.  It did however match the dates from the October update so I can't grasp why when used as a baseline the november is retaining details from the October update instead.

I've raised it with our Primavera support folk to see if they can assist.

thanks again,

Thom

Neils Gao
User offline. Last seen 8 years 25 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Thomas,

Have you tried to open all the dates as column for Nov plan before you save it as baseline? Maybe you could open plan start, plan finish to see if they match with current start and current finish. I remember that baseline start and baseline finish reflect plan dates of Baseline schedule, not current dates as we all think.

Thanks,

Thomas Nicholson

Thanks for your continued responses debating the part of the problem I don't have.  It all depends on your definition of your wording import.

in any case the baselines are in place and the dates don't match the same plan when opened seperately.  So I'll appreciate your experience and knowledge on this part of the issue.

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 21 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

it really does not import it the schedule is already in the database. Import is only used when the schedule is not in the database. 

Thomas Nicholson

I'm using the convert other project to be this projects baseline option which essentially imports another project from the EPS and adds it as a baseline.

Thomas Nicholson

I'm using the convert other project to be this projects baseline option which essentially imports another project from the EPS and adds it as a baseline.

Zoltan Palffy

I do not know what you mean when you say that you imported it using maintain. There is no option under file import for maintain. If you are just saying that you selected Project Maintain Baselines then I understand that. But there is no importing function here because the file has already been imported into the p6 database you are simply linking to it to use it a reference. 

Thomas Nicholson

Hi there, yes when I've imported it using maintain I then assign it to the baseline project and use BL start and BL finish to reference the dates from the november version. however once the problem appeared I tried assigning it to the BL1 user programme instead with the same results.

thanks

Zoltan Palffy

I assume that you also assigned the baseline after maintaining it.

In the November update activity 1000 had a forecasted start date of 12-15-15 and a forecasted finish date of 31-12-15

In the Decmber update activity 1000 had an actual start of date of 12-12-15 and a forecasted finish date of 4-1-16

it appears that when you use the December update you ar enot referencing the November update beasuse it is using the currect schedule as the baseline.

also in the December update when you select assign baseline are you selecting the November update in the Project Baseline as well as the User Baselines Primary ?