Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Help Required - How to actualise several activities at once

3 replies [Last post]
Thomas Nicholson
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
Groups: None

Morning all,

I wonder if somenoe can tell me a quick way to actualise several activities at once in P6?

I am working on a programme that has several structures within it each with their own WBS section, however a couple of the structures have been removed from our workbank until more funding comes along. So not wanting to remove them entirely I want to actualise all activities in those WBS sections only at the date we were told to defer the work.

Any ideas please?

Thanks

Thom

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 20 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

there are always several ways to do things in P6.

if you haven't already 

I would add a note to the notebook field for each activity where you did this and note that the structures were put on hold until funding becomes available. 

I might also add a code and tag each of these activities with a unique code something like "ON HOLD"

This will give you the ability to easily find them in the future or not to show them at all.

Thomas Nicholson
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

Zoltan,

As usual you a mine of information.  The actual Start/Finish columns did the trick.  Option 1 is too scary with our system, I've lost far too much data to Global change and Option 3 our security settings do not allow importing of anything.   Option 2 did the trick though.

Thanks for the assistance, greatly appreciated.

Thom

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 20 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

you have 3 options

options #1 (use a global change)

Tools Global Change 

where wbs equals (whatever it is) 

then actual start = select {Custom} then select the date that you want to use

and actual finish = select {Custom} then select the date that you want to use

then select change on the right 

option #2 (use fill down)

filter for the activities that you want 

add the actual start and finish columns

click in the actual start column for the 1st activity and put the date in

select the rest of the activities and right click and select fill down

click in the actual finish column for the 1st activity and put the date in

option #3 (export to excel and import to P6)

export the activities that you want to excel 

make sure to include the actual start and finish columns and in the export filter for the activities that you want

populate the actual start and finish dates in excel 

save the file

import the file back into p6