Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

integrating sub contractor schedule and Contractor schedule

9 replies [Last post]
Kannan CP
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi All,

In our project we have different sub contractors, providng their schedules to update the master schedule. In the beginning, the sub contractor schedule(without resources) was added to the our master schedule. Then I added the resources in our master schedule to make it as the baseline programme-and approved by the Client.

Now during the updating of our schedule, I was trying to incorporate the updated schedule(without resources) of sub contractor in our schedule, by importing it. The problem is that , as the sub cont schedule is without resources, during updating, our resource (budgeted units/cost) in the schedule  is also changing. The start & finish dates are getting updated properly.

How to keep the resources(budgeted units/cost) in my schedule as it is, while importing the sub cont schedule with out resources?

Thanks in advance

Kannan

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 20 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

I am not sure what further needs to be explained just create a new user go to

admin

users (right hand side add users) and create one

then go to admin

then go to security profiles

global profiles then add a new profile call it temp or whatever

then under its Privileges make sure that Delete Resource is not checked

make sure that add resources is not checked

make sure that edit resource is not checked

now when you want to import that project without the resource login with the new users you created

this user will not be permited to import the resoures but everthing else should be able to be imported.

Kannan CP

Hi Zoltan,

Regarding the new user and the capability, is it possible for you to explain a little bit more?

Thanks

Kannan

Zoltan Palffy

another work around is to create another USER and change the users rights to not to have the capability to import resources.

so create a new user named Temp or Pseudo and set his rights to NOT import resource 

Kannan CP

Hi Mike,

Thanks for reply.

Its working while importing as you said, except the below difficulties.

1. After exporting the resources to excel, the resources in my schedule (only for the sub contractor section) to be removed manually one by one (may be there will be an easy option, but I didn't find it), before importing the updated sub cont schedule (without resources).

2. After incorporating the sub contractor schedule (updated one but without resources) in to my schedule and importing the excel back to my schedule- the "at complete budgeted units and cost"  is not the same any more. I have to correct it manually. I looked for a global change to make "At Complete Units" equals to "Budgeted Units", but didn't find any option.

Regards

Kannan

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 21 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Hi Kannan

Before importing your sub contractor's programme export your resources to excell and then import them back afterwards.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Kannan CP

Hi Shahul,

There are no resources in sub contractor schedule. I am only incorporating their updated schedule into our schedule(with resources). While importing the sub cont schedule, with updating option, my schedule resources are changing or getting removed.

Kannan

Kannan CP

Hi Zoltan,

Thanks for the reply. In the modify data for activities, I already changed the resource assignment status to " Keep Existing". Problem is that, the "activities relationship" and  activity status also changing to Keep Existing. The issue still exist.

Kannan

Zoltan Palffy

during the importing process you can select what you want and donot want to import. When you import the project and get to the Update Project Options select Modify and under the Data Activity Type for the Activity Resource Assignment select Keep Existing 

Shah. HB
User offline. Last seen 35 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Hi Kannan,

If you rename the resource ID’s (Unique) of master schedule, there will not be any conflicts, if any previous happened due to same usage of resource ID’s between master schedule and subcontract schedule.

Cheers

Shahul Badhusha