Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Add Sub Project and Monitor Overall

2 replies [Last post]
Anu Tor
User offline. Last seen 13 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
Dear all,

I have to prepare a Baseline Program for differnt construction group. I am planning to have a sub-schedule for each construction, then combine to a main schedule.

Please advise me the step by step, how is link across sub-schedule and monitor ones in main schedule?

Regard,

Replies

Anu Tor
User offline. Last seen 13 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
Thank you very much for your advise. My schedule is working in P5. Should be same the action method? However I have some queries.

I set the project group : Copper Tube Project, one is consist of;
1) Furnace Sys.
2) Conveyor Sys.
3) Packing Sys.

Those ones are created the seperated schedule like sub-schedule. I create the activity code and WBS in one set that is incorperated three sys. and assing them to three sub-schedule. Also the logical links have been across project ( from Furnace sys. to Conveyor Sys. and Conveyor Sys. to Packing Sys.)

Those schedules are check out to each planner for update ( the cut-off date is same ). Like above action, I can open three schedules in same time and scheduling ones to see progress and any effect??

Can I see overall schedule same as P3?

Please recommend me.

Regard,
Ronald Romero
User offline. Last seen 1 year 5 days ago. Offline
Mr. Thor,

In P3 you can define a subprojects from the main schedule and open them simultaneously and update them . While in p6 this is different. You can open all the "project" then update as one schedule. Just make sure that sub-schedule are logicaly link with other subschedule to to get the correct updates when scheduling.

One more thing it is also a good practice that you have similar coding practice, WBS , project ID naming for more readabilty when combining them into one schedule.

Cheers,

Ronald