Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Suspend and Resume activities more than one time

4 replies [Last post]
Ibrahim Mohammad
User offline. Last seen 10 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi all,

The project I'm working on has been suspended for about 3 weeks. All  at that time on-going activities were suspended. I used Suspend Date and Resume Date in Primavera P6 8.3 to record the Suspend and Resume dates for the affected activities. Later, the suspension was lifted.

Now, the project is suspended again. Some of the before suspended activities  are suspended again, and other new activities also. This new suspension is still running.

How to record the new suspend and resume dates in easy and fast way in Primavera P6 8.3?

Replies

Viet Tran
User offline. Last seen 12 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

I read all your comments, but can you share with me when we suspend activities of project, how about the tracking progress because in baseline we did not have suspend?

Thanks,

Viet Tran
User offline. Last seen 12 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

I read all your comments, but can you share with me when we suspend activities of project, how about the tracking progress because in baseline we did not have suspend?

Thanks,

Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 5 years 6 weeks ago. Offline

Only other solution I am aware of, which is far from ideal, is to split each suspended task into 2: pre-suspension and post-suspension. Then you can control the individual suspension dates with early start constraints on the post-suspension element.

It causes problems with comparing vs baseline, and can be more work than creating individual calendars if you have to split the cost/resource loading too.

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 week 5 days ago. Offline

Ibrahim,

Most software I know either only allow for a single split/activity or multiple splits but a single split/activity/update period therefore under multiple splits the calendar option is what I use. If you find some other way it will be good to know.

Best Regards,

Rafael

Ibrahim Mohammad
User offline. Last seen 10 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Thanks Rafael for your solution. I have hundreds of activities that are suspended at the same time but may be not resumed at the same time. This makes the calender solution for each suspended activity very difficult and time-consuming. Any other suggestions?
Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 week 5 days ago. Offline

Use the calendars non-work days to record the interruptions. Because Primavera software does not provides much visibility on the exception table, perhaps none visibility other than displaying lengthy reports then keep a log of the interruption days and, the calendars and activities impacted by the calendar.

Depending on how the interruption affect the activities you might do it within a single calendar or perhaps a few. Some calendars such as 24 hours 7 days week for activities such as deliveries and curing will not be impacted.

In this way when you update the schedule actual activity duration will be real. 

This is similar to the recording of rain days and the impact on the schedule. You only know rain days after it happened, same with the interruptions you do not know when will be finished. 

For a TIA you can determine prior to impact the expected project finish date and then include the non-work days to get a projection on the impact of these non-work days. 

Remember such interruptions or disruption might have the additional effect of having to re-mobilize plus an impact on productivity. It is not easy but it is mostly about good documentation as the burden of proof rests on the claimant. 

If you will claim reduced productivity then you will need to keep time distributed data for work performed, resource usage and compare using the Measured Mile method as to substantiate your claim.