Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Different Activity Start & Finish Date in MS Project from Imported file of P6

3 replies [Last post]
Leonard Esber
User offline. Last seen 9 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Dear colleagues,

I imported a project plan into MS Project 2007 from Primavera P6.  For the first 12 activities, the start and finish dates were the same.  But starting from the 13th activity onward, I've noticed that the start and finish dates in projet plan generated in MS Project were not the same anymore from the source in Primavera P6.  That is why the Project Finish Date and the Total Project Duration were also not the same.  Kindly help me out how could I make sure that when I import a porject plan from P6 into MS Project would give the same data/info.

Best regards,

Leonard T. Esber

Replies

Good day,

Just bear in mind that if you work with decimals that P6 and Microsoft minimum decimal are not the same. This means if you work in 1/4 of hours that one of the sysyems will round-off the decimal.

Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 16 weeks ago. Offline

You are very unlikely to get the same answer when transferring project schedules from one scheduling package to another unless they are very simple schedules.

The two main reasons are:

1. The import export routines are never perfect, especially from MSP to P6, and

2. All scheduling software packages have different algorithms and therefor give different answers with the same data.

I have published an article on my websites under Technical Papers titled "Importing Microsoft Project 2003 – 2010 files into Oracle Primavera P6 Version 7" this will give you some insight into the differences.

Things have not changed with P6 Version 8.

Regards

Paul E Harris
BSc Hons, Certified Cost Engineer, PRINCE2 Practitioner

Managing Director and President
Eastwood Harris Pty Ltd, Australia
www.eh.com.au,  www.eastwoodharris.comwww.primaskills.com.au  andwww.primavera.com.au
Project Control Consultants and Planning and scheduling software book and training material publishers

Carolyn Limbert
User offline. Last seen 10 years 4 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Leonard,

Have you checked that your project calendars are the same in both Primavera and Project?

Often if the hours per day or week are inconsistent or the working days per month then this can throw the data out by a day or two on importing?

Carolyn