Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

update and reschedule problem

13 replies [Last post]
kaveh kaveh
User offline. Last seen 14 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
i enter % complete for a task that is behind schedule and when i reschedule it, msp split it to 2 parts, (part 1: complited part, and second: remain part)

how i can force msp not to split the task?

Replies

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 15 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Kaveh,
Of course it will change as the duration is change but you can edit and enter the % complete again to the correct percentage.
kaveh kaveh
tanx for ur help, but when i chenge the finish date, % complete will been changed!
Rodel Marasigan
Kaveh,
I’m not sure in MSP 2010 if the location of Progress Line is still under Tools-> Tacking-> Progress Line. If you status your Program and under Project Information Status date is define you can select from Progress Line option to display Progress Line using Status date or Current date.
Note: Finish date will be the same unless you manually extend it.
See sample:
Progress Line
kaveh kaveh
Sorry, i was confused. can u expalin mmore or send me a sample file?

i want show that the task is delayed, but not explit it and also shw that the finish date is changed
Rodel Marasigan
Kaveh,
I already warned you that it will not move to datadate. You can use Progress line to indicate that it is delayed. (Zigzag line)
kaveh kaveh
but it causes a new problem
if u Remove tick from Split in-progress task, after reschedule, msp keep the finish date in place and doesnot change it!!!
kaveh kaveh
i find it, tanks u. u made my day, u r my hero
kaveh kaveh
tnx alot, but i use msp 2010, can u tell me where the option is?

can i have u r id to ask my other problems? (if it is possible?) ka13mi@yaho.com
Rodel Marasigan
Kaveh,
If you don’t want to split in-progress task there is an option not to split in-progress task but it will not move to datadate. (Tools-> Options-> Schedule tab. Remove tick from Split in-progress task)

Best Regards,
Rodel
kaveh kaveh
yes, you r true, tje reason is the activity has delay

but in the real world that activity is ongoing and in action, but with spliting, it seems that activity stops for a period of time and then start again.
Rodel Marasigan
Kaveh,
Other reason why it split is the Activity delayed or % complete is less than datadate.

Ex: Act1 = 5day, start = 21-Jul-09 and have % Progress of 20%. If you re-schedule your Project with Datadate = 26-Jul-10 then it will split because 20% = 1 day = 22-Jul-10 and remaining = 4 which is starting at 26-July-10.
kaveh kaveh
it does not have any relation to sequence activity, in a file that has only one activity, i have this problem too
Rodel Marasigan
Kaveh,
That is an example of out of sequence activity. It means that the predecessor not yet complete or not yet started and succeeding activity is already progress. Change the logic if you want it not to split the activity.