Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Re-Schedule

7 replies [Last post]
tandyo winarno
User offline. Last seen 13 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Dear All,

Could you please advise how to re-schedule the progress activity in MS Project? I want the progress will override the logic.

The case is the logic is not valid anymore due to some reason.

In Primavera, there is choice as follow :
- retained the logic or
- progress override (the logic).
- actual date

Thanks
Tandyo

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 day 12 hours ago. Offline
Tandyo,

You are correct, it is under certain conditions that checking the box for split in-progress task that what we woluld expect to work as retained logic behaves as progress override.

Seems like the issue with % complete is with the retained logic by checking the box for split in-progress task only and not with progress override by clearing the check box.

Got confused with the exception to the point I changed the statement on how to mimic progress override.

I am still wondering what the following statement from MS Project help, really means. "If this check box is cleared, remaining work is not split. The progress information is recorded on the originally scheduled dates, regardless of when the actuals took place."

I deal with MS Project up to the point where I import these jobs into Primavera SureTrak. Because of the prescence of MS Project eventually some day I will have to deal with progress updating in MS Project, good to know about it

Best regards,
Rafael
tandyo winarno
Thanks all for your input.

Yes, by clearing the check box (split in-progress task)will override the logic.

Having exercised, (for the case that the successor activity can be done earlier, and relation to predecessor is not valid anymore).

Overriding the logic and moving the remaining duration back to start at the status date is done as follows :
1. Clear check box (split in-progress task)
2. Input "Actual Start Date"
3. Input "Physical % Complete, not "% Complete"
4. Press command "update as schedule". It will change "% complete", but will not change "Physical % Complete".
5. Assign remaining duration as needed.

Regards,
Tandyo
Rafael Davila
If this check box is cleared, remaining work is not split. The progress information is recorded on the originally scheduled dates, regardless of when the actuals took place.

Maybe you missed the warning of entering a % Complete as Paul Harris suggested in his posting (posting #3) under ttp://www.planningplanet.com/forum/forum_post.asp?fid=1&Cat=4&Top=63394

Quote from Paul Harris comment:

“When you check split in progress should work like Retained logic.”

“But when you enter an actual start without a % Complete it will work like Progress Override and then when you enter a % Complete of great than zero and less than 100 it works like Retained logic. This is not what one would expect, you just have to be careful.”

Therefore try the following and compare against unchecking Split in-progress:

In order to mimic Progress Override you must:
a) Check Split in-progress Task and,
b) Enter actual start without a % Complete.

In order to mimic Retained Logic you must:
a) Check Split in-progress Task and,
b) Enter actual start with a % Complete.

Anyway out-of-sequence logic is wrong and requires you to fix logic; this is what everyone should do whenever out-of-sequence happens no matter if you set Progress Override or Retained Logic. None is a guaranteed fix. You better avoid the error prone fix and make the required logic corrections; at times just a reduction in float will do it.

Try it by yourself, I am not an MS Project regular user, but as everyone I recognize it is the most widely used scheduling software in the world, eventually in some way you have to deal with it. Although not my favorite, contrary to the mainstream, I am glad it is good enough to be a true competitor to other more expensive software.

We got to accept plans are somewhat subjective in some way, it is good as is if feasible, and in this regard even a Gantt chart may be as good as or even better than a CPM in the wrong hands. Schedules are dynamic and that frequently things do not happen as planned, a correction for out-of-sequence means it did not happened as planned it does not means a faulty plan as many believe. Accepting the subjective nature of planning is something difficult for some forensic analysts, others have no problem with this as proof for cause and effect is not as strict as for criminal case. A good forensics analyst can prove cause and effect with reasonable precision under the knowledge and recognition there is always some subjectivity in planning.

Fix all out-of-sequence logic, there is nothing wrong with it, on the contrary not fixing out-of-sequence logic is wrong.

If/until Paul Harris come into our help I would recommend his book Planning and scheduling using Microsoft® Project 2007 including Microsoft ... By Paul Eastwood Harris. I do not have it but some sites provide you with a sample, seems quite good, a must have for those into MS Project.

Best regards,
Rafael
tandyo winarno
All,

Thanks for your advices.

Following to your instruction, I cleared check box (Split in-progress Task). It works, however the remaining duration doesn’t move back to start at the status date.
I expect the remaining duration will start at Status date and will not be subject to the predecessor link. Such thing is what I find in Primavera when I select Override Check Book on Shedule Option.

There is explanation in the MS Project Help of Tool/Option/Calculation/Details/Schedule adjustment for early and late taks. But it doesn’t work when I tried.

Best Regards,
Tandyo

Trevor Rabey
User offline. Last seen 1 year 43 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
It works just fine for me, and has done for years.
Your expectation that MSP is P3/P6 is incorrect.
Trevor Rabey
User offline. Last seen 1 year 43 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
First set up so you can put the right data in the right place and you can see what you are doing.

Save a Baseline (Tools, Tracking, Baseline)
Set a Status Date (Project, Project Information)
Show the Tracking Gantt View (View, Tracking Gantt)
Show the Tracking Table (View, Table, Tracking)
Show the Tracking Toolbar (View, Toolbars, Tracking)
Format the Gridlines to show the Status Date as a vertical red line on the Gantt Chart (Format, Gridlines)

Input the Actual Start Date.
If the Task is finished, input the Actual Finish Date.
If the Task is not finished, input the Actual Duration.
If the task has been started even though it has a predecessor which should otherwise be preventing it from starting as early as the Actual Start, then the Actual Start and Actual Duration will be where they actually occurred, and the remaining duration will still be subject to the predecessor link.

If the Actual Duration does not run all the way to the Status Date, use the 3rd button on the Tracking Toolbar to "Reschedule Work". This will split the task so that the Remaining Duration (the planned part of the task) is all in the future relative to the Status Date. This will split the task.
Always check and if necessary amend the Remaining Duration.
Do not show progress in the future.
Do not leave any Remaining (planned) duration in the past.
Do not show progress in the future. You cannot have 8 days of Actual Duration if the task only started 6 days ago.
Do not input % Complete. MSP will calculate this for you from % Complete = Actual/Total.
Hope this helps.
Rafael Davila