Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Microsoft Project 2010

6 replies [Last post]
Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 30 weeks ago. Offline
If you are interested in looking at some videos and signing up for the beta go to this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/project/2010/en/us/default.aspx

Paul E Harris
Eastwood Harris Pty Ltd, Melbourne, Australia
Planning and Scheduling Training Manual & Book Publishers, Consulting and Training
www.eh.com.au
www.primavera.com.au

Replies

Susiri Leelaratna
User offline. Last seen 7 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

When I use "Group by summary" in MSP 2010, the summary task in the DURATION FIELD does not calculate as previously did in MSP2007:

Duration in Summary Task (MSP 2010) = Duration of the sub task with MAXIMUM Duration

Duration in Summary Task (MSP 2007) = Latest date of any sub task - Earliest date of any sub task

How do I overcome this problem in MSP 2010?

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 week 1 day ago. Offline

Click lower left corner triangle to start video.

Maybe with a single activity job they will get the correct float computation.
With resource levelling everything is the same if not worse.
Resource critical activity has free float (in 2 activities schedule!), resource constrained schedules are as poor as before.

Simple example:
Activities 1, 2, 4 have 15 days duration, activity 3 has 1 day duration, activity 5 is finish milestone.
Resource A is assigned to activities 1 and 3, Resource B is assigned to activities 2 and 4.
Activity 1 precedes activity 2 (FS), activity 3 precedes activity 4 (FS), activities 2 and 4 precede activity 5 (both FS).

Optimal duration is 31 days, MS Project duration is 45 days.
Of course it can be improved if to apply activity priorities that shall be defined manually. Again - in large projects it does not help.
Activity with obvious free float is shown as critical. Activities that are resource critical are shown with total and even free floats!

But looks nice.

Best Regards,
Vladimir
Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 week 1 day ago. Offline
Vladimir,

Do they show true critical path, true float after resource leveling? I know it hung, but could you do a simpler resource leveling job, say a 2 activities job and let us know if still shows float for Critical Activities that if delayed because of resource availability the job is delayed?

Maybe even with 2 activities, not tied by relationships but by shared resources it can still be wrong as in previous versions. If not, then correct float under resource leveling with 2 activities might be all PMI requires.

Is it basically a cosmetic change, I mean 90% the ribbon?

Best regards,
Rafael
I tried to use MS Project 2010 to level the project that was created with MS Project 2003.
The software hanged though the same project can be levelled with the previous versions.

The problems with levelling algorithm are the same - poor results for 4 activities schedule.
I hope that final version will not hang but levelling was not improved.

Regards
Mufiz Sayed
User offline. Last seen 2 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Friends,

I signed for the MSP’10 beta version and am finding it to be much easier to use compared to MSP’07. I will be doing a full fledge project in coming week and will post my findng.

Regards