Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Finish Milestone in MS Project

4 replies [Last post]
Bo Johnsen
User offline. Last seen 8 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
When I create milestones in MS Projects with no predecessors they always become "Start Milestone", e.g. start in the morning at 08.00hrs if my calendar is set to that.

How do I make them "Finish Milestone", i.e. to become fixed at the end of the working day, e.g. 17.00hrs?

What I tend to do is "cheating" by making the duration of that milestone 1 day and then mark it as a milestone and then the successor(s) to that milestone will automatically start the following morning if linked that way.

Maybe it is just missing in MS Project, because in other programs, e.g. Pertmaster, there is no problems in defining the type of "Milestone".

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Bo

Replies

Saeid Khademagha
User offline. Last seen 7 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

The Lag is safest.

Eugene K
User offline. Last seen 13 years 1 week ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Malaysia
Bo, good observation about MSP milestones as compared to others.
i suppose in MSP a milestone is an "indicator" (unlike other software which traet it as an activity). it just indicate the start or end of the predecessor depending on the logic type (SS will indicate the start)

as for milestone without a predecessor..
definitely it has to be a start milestone since there is nothing for it to indicate as an end of...

so i suppose Trevor provided the only solution to ur requirement... play around with the lag to get the date u prefer.
Trevor Rabey
User offline. Last seen 1 year 34 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Add a little bit of Lag?
Bo Johnsen
User offline. Last seen 8 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
Well, just found the answer to part of the question: Enter the date in the "Finish"-column instead of the "Start"-column.

However, I still have a problem in certain situations where the milestone do have predecessors, e.g. say I have completion of "Snagging" and/or "Test/Commissioning" activities on day X and "Handover of Project" on day X+1. If "Handover" is just a milestone linked with FS and duration of 0, it will also end of day X instead of X+1, i.e. on site I’ll finish my activities late one evening and the Client/Owner won’t take over the following morning, but the programme will show me he’ll take over the same evening (which is not correct because he is home sleeping).

Do I "cheat" MS Project again and make that milestone (Handover) have a duration of 1 day?

Regards,

Bo