Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Help required by MS experts

8 replies [Last post]
Joel Gilbert
User offline. Last seen 4 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Gents,

Backround:

I recently started on the Dushanzi project in China.
The situation is that the client is using a Chinese designed planning software and it can download into Microsoft project. The price of Primavera is too scary so not even in the equation. Backround of the project is basically devided into Power Centre, Refinery, Chemical plant, Utilities and modification to existing plant which represents +/_ 45 Plants we are managing the BED and DED and Procurement and Construction up to a level 3, probably about 10000 activities.

The questions are:

1)Can Microsoft Handle the size of activities comfortably

2)Has anybody on PP had similar experience and worked with MS Project that has some advise.

3)Does anybody know if MS project China (Beijing) has a good support base to assist the smooth running of this large undertaking, and/or is it even required

4) How does it behave working through a network? as we may be working with 8 planners.

All help and sugestions will be more than welcomed

Regards

Joel

Replies

Michael Bonandrini
User offline. Last seen 8 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Howzit JOel (Long time no speak)

The limitations on MSP are all self-imposed.

I've just had to migrate a 40 000 activity schedule from P6 to MSP and (although it took a while), I didn't have any problems.

It's a trial and error exercise... shift everything to excel, copy and paste and see what's missing or screwing it up.

Funnily enough, I'm busy writing up a Macro to make life a bit easier and do this automatically.

Have fun

Michael Bonandrini
User offline. Last seen 8 years 22 weeks ago. Offline

Howzit JOel (Long time no speak)

The limitations on MSP are all self-imposed.

I've just had to migrate a 40 000 activity schedule from P6 to MSP and (although it took a while), I didn't have any problems.

It's a trial and error exercise... shift everything to excel, copy and paste and see what's missing or screwing it up.

Funnily enough, I'm busy writing up a Macro to make life a bit easier and do this automatically.

Have fun

Henk,
does it matter for the end user if the program works well? I think that the data structure is the developers problem and developers choice. They can choose non-standard approaches and if the result is good then it does not matter for the project planners if the program data structure is organised this or another way.
Regards,
Vladimir
Henk van der Heide
User offline. Last seen 6 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
Cor,

Now you have mentioned the key problem of MS-Project.
"structure"
I think planning tools should be based on database structures and not a spreadsheet environment like MS-Project

Regards

Henk
Cor de Bakker
User offline. Last seen 13 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
If you do so,
Make a good start with the structures in MS Project.
If you spend some time on the structures, it will be as organaised as in P3.
If Possible, make Resource pools to use for many subprojects.
Plan in small Projects, so that you can merge them into one or more major projects.

Plan the plan
Philip Jonker
User offline. Last seen 15 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
just do not try to resource iy
Zhang Haixiang
User offline. Last seen 3 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
MSP has no problem handling such kind of project,but you need prepare something to make your schedule well organized,just like in P3 you need to define activity code...

MSP standard do not work on network. you need MSP profesional and project server to work in a network
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Joel,

What a mess your into?

Anyway i did MS Project with 35,000 activities. The software I used was the MS Project Japanese version. My boss though I knew Japanes which I said "I don’t know Japanese. I told him it looks like it had the same layout/buttons/commands as the english version.

It was really nothing, just Gantt Chart with relationship and baseline. An improvement of the Excel Graph.

Our project management team did not reguired us to dig deeper in the same level as Primavera.

I hope this will help.

Cheers,

Charlie