Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Planning Procedure Database?

12 replies [Last post]
Ed van der Tak
User offline. Last seen 25 weeks 22 hours ago. Offline
Hallo everyone,

Quality is the basis for a good schedule. Not only the software used and the skills/experience will improve the overall result. Sometimes your just looking for quality info on planning procedures and tips. There are many things to find on the net and on our own computers. Most of these things are "open" for distribution.

So, why cant we (as Prod-Rates) have an additional page for collection of information?

Regards,

Ed van der Tak
ARAM Planning Consultants
The Netherlands

Replies

Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi there, We have started a new thread on this subject and will bring together several threads which are all suggesting similar things... New Functions Please get involved. PP Admin Team
Bernard Ertl
User offline. Last seen 9 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Ed van der Tak
No problemo!

Will think of all relevant steps and issues, let me get back on that.

Ed
Mark Lomas
User offline. Last seen 16 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Ed,

I think you are right. PP is THE place for planning and scheduling, other sites cover other aspects of PM. So we should write about what we know (I will correct that, you guys should write about what you know as I am a PM (spit !) not a thoroughbred planner).

In a similar vein to the Survey project, we should start getting some ideas down and request comment. Ed, would you be prepared to start it ?

Mark
Ed van der Tak
Yes,

youre right,

Probably there is much more to find on the net. But they dont have over 4000 members who are just interrested in the aspect of planning and scheduling (as part of Project Control).

Nevertheless part of the database could be a link to other sites/documents.

Its all about finding the info available.

Bye,

Ed
The Netherlands
Mehdi Rashidi Ala...
User offline. Last seen 5 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
I think that is a good knowledge based in the pm. However, there are sites with this idea.
etc. www.projectconnections.com

Regards
Forum Guest
This is a really interesting concept.

We should think how best to show this information. Perhaps a simple listing of document titles that could be sorted and organised into various categories?

I will get someone to check out the virus / upload issues.
Bernard Ertl
User offline. Last seen 9 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
If the idea is to prepare a files/download section where members may upload articles, tutorials, templates, macros, scripts, spreadsheets, etc. for other members to download, I think that is a great idea. However, file uploads will need to be reviewed. Nothing should be posted for immediate availability to prevent the possible spread of virii.

As a moderator, I would be willing to devote some time to reviewing submitted materials for appropriateness.

Bernard Ertl
InterPlan Systems Inc. - Project Management Software, Project Planning Software
Ed van der Tak
Gents,

There are a number of ideas for this topic. First of all a tips and trics section (per software package?), second a download area for graphics to improve your (planning-) presentations/reports (fi. levelpiramids). Third a download/copy area for procedures/descriptions and explainations (fi. progressprocedures). Fourth a download area for "standard" fragnets or planning strings.

I have looked on the APM website, most of their members might be projectmanagers. The majority of our members are planners, so more interest is to be expected, and input!

If the structure is set, I will be one of the first to contribute.

This is also a perfect subject for moderators within PP to keep all information organized and valuable. Is it good to set-up a workgroup?

Bye,

Ed van der Tak
The Netherlands
Soheil Jafari
User offline. Last seen 3 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Hi there,
this is a good suggestion and it seems planners need mentioned procedures, meanwhile we can guide from maxwideman site. ( www.maxwideman.com )
take care
Mark Lomas
User offline. Last seen 16 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Ed,

a great idea, that seems to have met with limited response. Are you intending that we compile a "best practice" guide, made up of tips received from PPers ?

If so, it may be worth enlisting the help of a few key guys and perhaps it could operate on the same basis as the APM and PMIs Specific Interest Groups (SIGs). Note that the APM have a planning SIG here. maybe we should recruit the APMs SIG and pool our resources.

Mark
Forum Guest
If someone gathers some information, I will be more than happy to knock up some scripts to show it for us.

Good idea.