Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Overriding Duration field

2 replies [Last post]
Paul C
User offline. Last seen 3 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

This problem is basic so I can't help but think I'm missing something really obvious.

When I open a new Powerproject docuement, after I enter a start date for each task, the duration sets itself at a default of 1 week and then populates the finish date accordingly. If I attempt to manually enter a different Finish date  Powerproject adjusts the Start date to ensure the duration remains constant at one week. How can I adjust the settings to allow me to populate the Start and Finish dates myself, with the duration then calulated based on my input?

Any advice is appreciated.

Regards,

Paul

Replies

Vasilios Sarras
User offline. Last seen 7 years 49 weeks ago. Offline

Paul, 

Managed to find a simple solution to your question. Follow these steps and you should be able to adjust the start and finish dates without them moving. 

File>Options>Edit Tab>The top one under tasks 'When editing start or finish in spreadsheet'>change this to 'move duration'

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Vas

Vasilios Sarras
User offline. Last seen 7 years 49 weeks ago. Offline

Hello Paul, 

I am unaware of any setting option which can be adjusted so that you can enter the start and finish date manually.

But what Asta does allow you to do is to enter the duration of the activity, which you should know if have your start and finish dates. Then once this is complete you can add the logical sequence links to the programme which should result in the activities finishing as intended. 

However there is another way, you can enter the start date manually and then by clicking on the left end of the activity bar you can drag it to the intended finish date. 

Hope this helps.

I would also be interested to hear from anyone aboiut a setting which can be adjusted so this does not happen. 

Cheers,

Vas