Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

ASTA - Task Work

16 replies [Last post]
Raphael Lali
User offline. Last seen 12 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS

What does “Task Work” mean in ASTA?

Replies

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 22 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Hi Robert

I understand the difficulty in educating the construction team to new concepts but resource modelling is really a very simple process. Think of it as a spreadsheet that takes in all the data that you are currently putting into your user fields but the result is fed directly into the duration of the task.

Instead of user fields you can use the resource modelling columns and type the same data into the task.

Have a look at the Asta tutorial or read the help section.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Robert Hughes
User offline. Last seen 8 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Mike,

There are two reasons I suppose, the first is that I have never explored resource modelling in Asta and have always (rightly or wrongly) assumed it to be a complicated and time consuming exercise. This is something I should probably investigate.

The second, and rather more difficult to solve, problem is that if i resource loaded a schedule I suspect I am one of the only people who would understand how to manage from ther on in. If I passed a resource loaded schedule on to a Project Manager I imagine they would throw it out and start again for lack of understanding.

Regards, Robert Hughes

Mike Testro

Hi Robert

If you are taking the trouble to put all that data onto user defined fields why not just use the resource modelling software to generate the duration for you?

There is a technique to get a new sub-contractor to start on a Monday morning.

Put a milestone between the predecessor and successor link of the first task for the new subbie and then create a calendar with a work pattern of 1 minute every Monday morning - allocate this to the milestone.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Robert Hughes

Mike,

I agree with your point about trades starting the next day, in some instances its difficult to get a subcontractor on site until the following Monday let alone the following day as particular trades seem to have an aversion to starting mid-week, despite the planners protests.

I am currently using a series of user-defined columns to track resource estimates, we (my organization) do not resource load schedules. I do however use four user-defined columns: Work (10,000 in your example) Unit (Bricks) Rate (50/hour) and Resource (3x Gangs), more to record how I arrived at the duration should it need adjusting than to drive the programme durations. This way I can include my own variations on the duration, to pick up work finishing halfway through a dar for example.

Regards, Robert Hughes

Mike,

in most construction works concreting lasts hours and shall be delayed to the next day if could not be finished until the work day end. But the task that follows the concreting shall not be delayed, isn't it?

I have nothing against developing the concepts from the rivals and like competition. I just wonder what is wrong with the term Volume? Was it necessary to use other term (Work) because it does not sound good in English?

Mike Testro

Hi Vladimir.

You are right of course that precise programmes set to hours or minutes should be allowed to flow across the working day.

Since most construction work is planned on working days my "rule" applied generally.

I have no idea where Asta got the term "task" from - they are not above developing concepts from their rivals - a trait which I am sure is universal.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Mike,

you wrote: "Asta has the facilty to make any task start the next day which should be applied in all resource modelled situations."

I don't agree with this statement especially for detailed schedules where activity durations are measured in hours and minutes.

Am I right that Asta's Work is a replica of Spider's Volume? Why to invent new terms?

Best Regards,

Vladimir

Mike Testro

Hi Robert / Samantha

Having just played around with the Task Work facility I now understand your problem - it is the same as the earlier versions of Team Plan when all allocated resource were jumbled up in one column. It was not until version 8 that Asta brought in individual columns for each resource that I started using it.

The multi entry column stops you using copy paste from spreadsheets unless you go through a filter for each one.

Task Work is a rough and ready modelling resource but will not replace true resource modelling for accurate project control.

I would advocate using just one work unit called hours and then allocate the number of hours per day to do the task work.

This can be set up on a spreadsheet - ie

Work Number Output / Hour Gang Task work Hours
Bricks 10000 50 3 66.67 24 

The last two columns can then be pasted into the relevant chart columns and you have a record of the original planned gang size.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Mike Testro

Hi Robert

When setting up a column for resources there is a tick box on the right hand section which toggles between - Show Rolled Up Values and Directly Applied Values.

Unfortunately this does not apply in the Task Work dialogue - send it as a wish list for v 13.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Mike Testro

Hi Samantha

A common problem using resource modelling is that the calculation works on decimals of hours so that the task terminates in the middle of a working day.

It then assumes that the next trade can start immediately which rarely happens in reality.

Asta has the facilty to make any task start the next day which should be applied in all resource modelled situations.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Robert Hughes

Thank-you Samantha,

That is most helpful I will try both of those when I next get an opportunity. It may be my memory deceiving me but I thought that in previous versions of Power Project there was a tick box within the Table Definition dialog to disable 'rolled-up' values for summary bars?

If not, if I in fact dreamt it, then may I suggest it as a feature for the next version of Asta?

Regards, Robert Hughes

Samantha Boyd-Leslie
User offline. Last seen 4 years 13 weeks ago. Offline

HI Robert, 

I'm guessing that you have different units of work across tasks in the summary and  the totals of each unit measure are all then listed at summary level. 

You coud switch off word wrap to stop the row height expanding ?

Or try a formula. You could use a conditional formula so that if it is a summary task it will show as blank but if not show task work. Then set your table to show the formula column in your print outs. 

Try this : if(task.Type="Expanded Task", "", Taskwork)

Sam 

Robert Hughes

Hi Samantha,

Is there a way to stop the Task Work rolling up on the summary bars? As when there are several numbers in the rolled up Task Work column it distorts the line height and means that the programme is unprintable when using the Task Work feature.

Regards, Robert Hughes

Samantha Boyd-Leslie

Hi Mike,

No there is nowhere to put in the number assigend to the task.  This is a simplistic way to set the duration of the task solely based on an amount of work and a work rate.

To consider gang sizes or numbers inthe calculation you would have to assign resource to the task.

Mike Testro

Hi Samantha - welcomne to Planning Planet.

Does the gang size have any effect - is there a space to add the number allocated to the task?

Best regards

Mike Testro

Samantha Boyd-Leslie

Hi, 

Task Work is an easy way of modelling tasks in a non resourced schedule - it's new in Version 12 of Asta Powerproject.

You can affect the duration of an activity via a work amount (the Task Work) & work rate that you set in the Task Properties, without having to set up & allocate resrouces.

You can see a demo video via Astas website http://www.astadev.com/asta-powerproject-version-12/