Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Time Slice

6 replies [Last post]
James Young
User offline. Last seen 13 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Afternoon all,

Can some explain to me how to do a Time Slice using PowerProjects v10?

Regards,

James

Replies

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 22 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
Hi Andrew

The thread did start on the topic of the Time Slice method of delay analysis but as usual with these things it drifted off course.

I have just been writing to James Young about how to do a look ahead in powerproject.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Andrew Pearce
User offline. Last seen 1 year 32 weeks ago. Offline
Now now girls!
I think what the guy wanted to know was how to actually produce a bar chart report for a specific period of time, A four week look ahead for example.
I think it was a powerproject operational query not one related to claims and dispute resolution. Would love to help the guy myself but have been using P6 for the last 2 years and not up to speed with PPversion 10
Mike Testro
Hi David.

I have no chance in competing with Charleston in respect of misleading responses - bullshit may baffle brains but it don’t baffle bullshit.

I am an expert delay analyst calling upon 45 years experience in the construction industry - working in every field except Offshore - Nuclear & Petrochem. (look at the PP thread "Who is the oldest planner still in full time work")

I am fortunate that I have not had to go through the academic route to get to where I am and I have no need to profess to qualifications to establish my credentials in adjudication.

As to "time slice" there is so much loose terminology sloshing about that the term has been applied to "Time Impact".

I notice in the Pickavance quote he does not say - "and it has to be split up into monthly time slots".

Also i have seen no endorsement of the time slice method in the SCL protocol which is why I referred to 2002.

When I am doing a Time Impact analysis I can see little point in doing the same excercise several times over when events fall across more than one slice - particularly when the critical path is not restricted to arbitrary time slots.

It is also very difficult to establish concurrency using time slice.

For these reasons and others I do not reccommend time slice analysis. I recently turned down a commission because the Contractor’s solicitor insisted on a time slice method.

Are you going to the PP conference in Reading on 11th November?

If so I look forward to meeting you.

Best regards

Mike Testro.
David Bordoli
User offline. Last seen 8 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
With respect Mike... are you being serious! You are not trying to take over from Charlie with the most misleading response are you?

I did notice that in previous posts you said:

"As far as qualifications are concerned the most useful I obtained was GCE O level Carpentry - you don’t need much CPD for that one.

I used to do money claims until I bought PowerProject and taught myself how to use it. I then called myself a delay analyst and put my rates up."

That is going to go down really well when you are next giving evidence and you are asked why you think you are an expert in planning and programming matters.

Picckavance (at paragraph 14.316) says:
"As its name suggests, time impact methodology (also sometimes referred to as the ’snapshot’ or ’time slice’) is another impact technique that calculates the effect of a defined causal event rather than relying on inference of a cause from perceived effect. When properly used, this method produces the most through and reliable technical proof of the effect of a causal event. It is this method of analysis that is impliedly required by ECC2 and ECC3 and expressly required by US government contracts, it has been recognised as an appropriate method of analysis by the US Boards of Contract Appeals, and it is acknowledged by the SCL Protocol as the appropriate method for contemporaneous analysis and the most thorough method of retrospective analysis."

I happen to think time slicing best describes Time Impact Analysis when used in the ’windows’ or ’watershed’ format. You might like to have a look at Mirant Asia-Pacific Construction (Hong Kong) Ltd v Ove Arup and Partners International Ltd & Anor [2007] EWHC 918 (TCC) (20 April 2007) (http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/TCC/2007/918.html).

Having said all that I am quite willing to admit I might be incorrect and that all my learning was of such little use.

Regards

David
Mike Testro
Hi James

A Time Slice is a method of delay analysis that went out of use in 2002.

Don’t eeven bother with it.

Best regards

Mike Testro