Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Invalid Relationships?

4 replies [Last post]
Richard Asiimwe
User offline. Last seen 16 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Can anyone explain the "invalid relationships", "unsatisfied relationships" P.5 lists when you schedule and run the P5 schedule report.

Replies

John Crookshanks
User offline. Last seen 6 years 40 weeks ago. Offline

I am not so sure this that "Activities with unsatisfied relationships" is due to constraints.  I have a situation where the constraints are not influencing some of my activities, yet those activities are listed under the section "Activities with unsatisfied relationships".  I believe that the section of the report that lists "Activities with unsatisfied constraints" are influenced by conflicting logic and constraints.

Most activities listed in the section "Activities with unsatisfied relationships" have out of sequence logic where the predecessor's logic and the actual dates of the activity do not correctly correspond, or the finish date of a started activity is being driven by the logic from a predecessor instead of the remaining duration.  However, when I correct these the activity still shows up in the list of "Activities with unsatisfied relationships".  I am a bit confused as well.  It would be great if the folks at Oracle could address this.

Kevin Button
User offline. Last seen 2 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
I don’t read the scheduling report, but now I think it might be worthwhile. Regarding "External Dates", I checked the Primavera Help (F1 key), selected the ’Search’ tab and entered ’external dates’. I think the following should answer your question:

EXPORT PROJECTS TO AN XER FILE
...If you are exporting a project that you previously imported; and, that project contains relationships to external projects that do not exist in your database; and, you scheduled the project; be sure that you scheduled the project with the Ignore Relationships To and From Other Projects option selected (in the Schedule Options dialog box). If you select this option when scheduling the project, the module will preserve the external activity dates.

IMPORT PROJECTS IN XER FORMAT
...When you import a project that contains relationships to external projects that do not exist in your database, the module will preserve the external activity dates when you schedule the project if you select the Ignore Relationships To and From Other Projects option in the Schedule Options dialog box.

Hope this is of some help

Cheers
Richard Asiimwe
User offline. Last seen 16 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
Kevin, Thanks for your response. Is it okay to to ignore these warnings? Do you know anything about "activities with external dates"?
Kevin Button
User offline. Last seen 2 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
According to Primavera solution ID prim29145:

Activities with unsatisfied relationships are reported any time a relationship is not honored because of constraints.

For example, successor activity B has a start on or after constraint which is later than the calculated start from the relationship - the relationship is unsatisfied because activity B gets its start date not from the relationship but from the constraint.

An example of an invalid relationship is a start milestone with a finish to start relationship to a successor activity. Because start milestones do not have finish dates, the successor start cannot be calculated from the start milestone’s finish date.