Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Scrolling down the vertical icon bar

7 replies [Last post]
Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 day 13 hours ago. Offline

scroll icon bar

How do you scroll down the vertical icon bar on the left to see the missing icons?

Regards,

Rafael

Replies

Rafael Davila

Icons Marcus,

I already made my own changes, instead of increasing the number of icons I deleted those I do not use often while added just a couple I was missing. Now I can navigate in a very efficient way. I made minor changes as the original selection was so good there was no need to over customize. Still if want to navigate using more icons I can use the main jobs window, a windows always available at a click of the mouse without having to close my activities windows of the jobs I have opened. Spider navigation has always been great, now it is super.

Regards,

Rafael

Marcus Possi
User offline. Last seen 1 week 3 days ago. Offline

Hello Rafael,

Do have a look on the new Spider Project version :).

You will like the news.

rafael.jpg

mpossi

Rafael Davila

Vladimir and Marcus,

I believe customization of the interface by the user creates caos if you overdo it, keep it simple. I do not waste time messing with icons and irrelevant things, no harm if I change only a couple of icons though, and this will be welcomed, of course.

I do not know if on every update you will lose the customization but this is something Spider Development team must look at when designing the functionality. Remember Spider Project is not like other software people upgrade every other year with many annoying issues. I want to upgrade every new version, usually more than once a month, with a single click of the mouse with no single issue, same as I am used to. Upgrading scheduling software with more than a single click of the mouse I consider a nuisance, upgrading time of more than 2 minutes to me is a crime, would be like stealing my time, keep Spider away from the pack. 

Regards,

Rafael

Marcus Possi

Rafel,

in fact the "customizing" in Spiders is not so "Microsofting" as "Microsoft people" would expected, but I won't change the amount of the rich resources Spider Project has, and theHSD - "high speed development "  team they have, for these "designing features".

Recently Spider Team developed the Material Gantt, and its showing its cost components under Activity Gantt, allowed us to see the "cost composition" under Activity Level or higher. The "Expand to level" gave us a higher production device.

I hope one day, the "configuration" will keep all these details in order to promote the highest production ever reached by a PM tool.

Regards,

Marcus Possi

PS our book is always changing and never reaches its  3rd edition due to the amount of news.

In the near future you will be able to work with these icons as with columns. By right mouse click select which icon to show at selected place.

Best Regards,

Vladimir

Rafael Davila

Marcus,

It is only for a couple of icons when away from my large monitor, there I got space to an extra dozen as you suggest. As a matter of fact I would not like a screen cluttered with icons as if AutoCAD where they are needed.

Navigation in Spider is so easy I rarely use the text menus, only frequently used icons shall be used as too many will get you lost, will kill the purpose for fast and easy navigation.

A general diagrams icon, a formula icon and a filter icon would be welcomed only if space is made avilable by using the available two horizontal icon bars though, but no more. There is still room at these two horizontal bars for quite a few icons to drive anyone crazy.

By the way I love the new the drop-down list "Expand to level", it even works with the mouse wheel.

Regards,

Rafael

Marcus Possi

Hello Rafael,

if you mention the left view bar, it is not availuable yet. :)

Even the new icons are not there (Material Gantt for instance). I think it is a question of little time.

Try a higher resolution screen/monitor. :)

mpossi