Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Poised at foot of the ladder - advice needed if possible...

3 replies [Last post]
Max Davies
User offline. Last seen 10 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Everyone,

New to this forum and the Planning environment and I am desperate for some advice...

I am 37, started working as a DOcument Controller last June at Olympic Park in Stratfordwith no prior experience within the construction sector in this role (but I have previous in telecoms). I have spoken to a few individuals working for the main contractor all of whom have suggested that if I want to progress (ehich I desperately want to do) then I should aim to become a project planner - trouble is, being at the foot of the ladder, I have NO IDEA where to start!

I have no formal qualificationsin the field but have been told that perhaps gaining a qualification in construction management might be a start?... Can anyone please help as I came out of my comfort zone last year (Leisure Management) to start a new one and now this job is coming to an end, I don;t want to get stuck in the role of a document controller...

Many thanks in advance!

Replies

Y A
User offline. Last seen 6 years 36 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Mike, 

Unfortunately scheduling jobs aren't as predominant in the UK, and theyre very often engineer focused. Learning ASTA seems to be a tip of the iceberg when it comes to obtaining actual employment. 

As much as the software is important to learn I think it might be worthwhile learning the construction industry more. Document control gives you good exposure (i'll advise you to contract as many doc control jobs as you can in different construction industries) so you get a feel of everything, and try your best to get a job on site. It's dirty and dusty but you'll appreciate it 

First learn the different types of contracts normally issued for constructon projects, the main types of structures for different building, then you can get a feel of what actually happens on site.  (Having wasted money and time on the degree I currently have no desire to return and learn construction management, i'd rather do a chem engineering degree). As a doc controller you have access to everything, go through the drawings and assess what they tell you, go through the specs and learn the kanguage. Go through the tender documents, employers requirements and most importantly read through as many programmes as possible! Learn the order, popular activities, those which take long, those that overlap. Apply your knowledge from reading the drawings to creating a link between these activities. Learn the difference between a schools contract and a commercial one. Keep your ears open when the planners and QSs are talking! 

I also hear, too often 'you cannot be a planner if you don't know how to build' I know far too many 'Senior Planners' who didn't have this knowledge, I know a hairdresser that became a planning manager no education whatsoever (beyond GCSEs I assume). I've learned that experience will make you an expert. In the meantime, you'll pick up relevant knowledge from everyone else. 

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 17 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Hi Max

You may learn programming software skills to become a scheduler - putting someone elses plan onto the chart.

You will not be a planner until you know how to build things.

A document controller is a key position in any construction enterprise but does not pay as much as it deserves.

My advice is to download a 30 day free trial of Asta PowerProject (www.astadev.com) and practice with it until comfortable and then try for a schedulers job.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 12 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Max

Do YOU know what YOU want? Did you ever write down a balance sheet of your strengths and weaknesses? Do so.

Which tasks/jobs from your past you liked the most? Leisure Management sounds nice but I understand that there is a limit set by age.

Document control is extremely important within EPC Projects and you are partner of the PM such as the planner. Which part of this role you like which not?

In Germany at some Universities Planning is part of Construction Management, but there is no real education as a planner.

Telecoms is a wide and interesting area where are projects and they must be planned. There I assume you have some knowledge and would be able to use this as a basis.

I hope these questions will help you a little. It is your future. So consider first your real targets, your strengths your weaknesses. Then you can find many postings in PP with questions from beginners and very good answers. They will help you.

Sorry for being a little harsh, but with the result of your considerations you'll earn your life for the next years.

Good luck!

Dieter