Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Chance

4 replies [Last post]
Marc De Vall
User offline. Last seen 5 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi everyone, I know youve heard it all before but if you do not try you do not suceed, i have worked in construction for 30 years mainly hands on-tradesman-and 3 years in rail, Coss, Handsig, lookout and possession planning have just completed a diploma in project management and IOSH also when funds allow doing P3/6 so im looking for a chance to get on the ladder, even as teaboy to start lol, so if anyone can help please get in touch, as i said if you dont try-thank you.

Replies

Marc De Vall
User offline. Last seen 5 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks guys, i posted the thank you reply as a new thread so apologies, also if any one has any software or books or anything i could lend to self teach for now as funds are tight to buy at the mo would very much appreciate it, cheers marc
Chris Oggham
User offline. Last seen 9 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Mike,

I did think about going freelance, but I got a really good separation package from FRA, much better than I expected, so I’m going to take some time out, and do a bit of travelling. So for a while at least (until I start getting bored) I will be a professional loafer and I must admit, I’m looking forward to it.

Chris
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 17 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Hi Chris

Nows your chance to go freelance.

Hi Marc

I drifted into planning by accident about 15 years ago when I needed to get a grip on time problems before I could sort out the money - I was a bean counter claims consultant.

I bought some software and taught myself how to use it - then called myself a Delay analysts and put my rates up.

As Chris said - Go for it and good luck.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Chris Oggham
User offline. Last seen 9 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Marc,

You’ve probably heard this before as well, but believe me, you’re doing it right! You’ve got experience, you’ve got your diploma, but best of all you’ve got the bottle to go for it. While I can’t help you directly (the company I work for is shedding jobs, and mine is one of them) I can tell you what worked for me.

I started off very much the same as you, I was a shipwright, I got into planning by accident really, found I was good at it and went looking for other jobs. So, get your CV out to recruiters, trawl the internet for jobs, check out any possibilities you come across. When you’re going for a job, don’t worry about not getting it; if you don’t get, so what, there’s another one tomorrow.

It worked for me and I’ve done alright, with the settlement I’m getting from the company, I’ll be able to take it easy and do some things I’ve always wanted to do. So good luck, and don’t be afraid to just go for it.

Chris Oggham