Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Planning

8 replies [Last post]
rrroman Canadian
User offline. Last seen 15 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Dear Planners,

My name is Catalin. I have a Bachelor in Mec.Eng, a PMP certification and a MBA (operations). I took P6 (102 and 106) courses and my experience is CAD design (automotive) (no planning)..but I do like planning. Do I have any chance to get into the planning field or am I dreaming..? Is a certification like PSP (AACE) going to help?
Thank you for your time and consideration

Best regards.

Catalin

Replies

Ferdinand Fincale...
User offline. Last seen 8 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Catalin,

With your PMP and MBA certification, you’ll for sure get to the top quickly. Just try to dig the inner essence of planning, and be patient with the tedious details that you’ll go through. Seek and ask to understand. Planning is indeed a great part of every successful project.

In this computing age, there’s a lot of planning softwares that you can use depending on your requirement. For me, those softwares are simply programs as a tool to make our planning presentations and analysis quicker with flexibility in its future utilization. Therefore, I say that planning is indeed more on analytical aspects and its application because after all we can still do planning manually. Hope you get what I am trying to emphasize.

Good luck to you and hope that you’ll share with us your future planning knowledge and experiences.

In Friendship & Service,
Ferdinand
rrroman Canadian
Thank you to ALL of you guys. I am really thankful for the time you took for me. I wish all the best.

Best regards,

Catalin

Christian Adrian ...
User offline. Last seen 4 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
Catalin

To me what right means is appropriate. Aside from the good advices that you’ve got here, have a look at some of the other forums/discussions about planning/scheduling, project management, careers & etc. here, from there you can start building what could be right to you.

rrroman Canadian
Hi,

Thank you for your “astute advice” but please define “right”.

Christian Adrian ...
User offline. Last seen 4 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
Catalin

If you are keen enough, just look at the High Rise Bldgs.
It would not be possible without the right foundation.

Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Catalin
Your experience is CAD, i.e. use of a software for a technical job. PMP and your other qualifications show a good, maybe excellent, theoretical background. Planning means to combine theory and practice. To start as a senior? You’ll be about to fail, as a junior may be boring.
Start as a planner for a small project or a part of a bigger project and then ask, ask, ask,.... If there is a chance, start planning in an industry you know. With your theoretical background you’ll learn fast and become a senior.
Just start!
Good luck!
Dieter
Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Catalin,

You are over qualified for a Junior position. You will need a high level position in the planning field. Certification will help always.

My best suggestion is to join a large runninh project, as an Senior in the Planning department where you can practice planning at all levels. Or you can join the Project Management company where you can practice your planning skills.

Good luck,

Samer
Arnold Puy
User offline. Last seen 9 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,

Yes, why not. You can be a Junior Planner first just like what others did. Just keep on planning.

Arnold