Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Working in Australia

13 replies [Last post]
Peter Casson
User offline. Last seen 9 years 42 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Dear All,

Having secured a Skilled Independent visa for Australia I would like to enquire about the current work situation there.

Has the current economic climate affected the demand for planners?

Has there been a slow down in the recent boom?

Areas I am interested in are WA, SA and Southern Queensland.

I am not in a position to up sticks and move now, but it’ll probably be within the next twelve months.

Regards
Pete

Replies

Carlito Ogoy
User offline. Last seen 4 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Walang problema, kabayan.

Heto email ko: csogoy@yahoo.com

Email ka lang anytime. Regards.
Ferdinand Fincale...
User offline. Last seen 8 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks for the info Carlito,

I hope you won’t mind me asking some questions from time-to-time regarding working in AU. Nais ko kasing manirahan diyan kasama pamilya ko. Pwede mahingi email addy mo para magmensahe na lang ako ng pribado sa iyo.

Thanks again.

In Friendship,
Ferdinand
Carlito Ogoy
Hi Ferdinand,

Kumusta, kabayan?

457 visa is the short term for "Temporary Business (Long Stay) - Standard Business Sponsorship (Subclass 457)" visa. This is the most commonly used program for employers to sponsor overseas workers to work in Australia on a temporary basis. You must have the qualification to fill any nominated skilled positions in Australia.

You cannot get this visa alone. This requires company sponsorship.

For more details, visit www.immi.gov.au

Mabuhay!
Carlito

Ferdinand Fincale...
User offline. Last seen 8 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Carlito,

May I ask what is that 457 visa in Australia? Can I get one from United Arab Emirates where I am currently working? For your info, I am a Philippine national.

You may send me a private message @ ferdinand.fincalero@zublin-international.com

Thanks.

In Friendship,
Ferdinand
Carlito Ogoy
I’m currently on a 457 visa too here in Australia.

Planning Engineers are in demand here. Coming in is the only obstacle. But once you’re in, you can get a job as a planner as long as you have the right experience.

Danya Pearce
User offline. Last seen 3 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Australia has one of the strictest immigration laws (i think on a par to the US). However, a 457 visa in our industry is pretty easy to obtain. I went there on a holiday (after quitting my last job) and got a job and visa sponsorship (through an agency which is like a labour broker)so i could change jobs without fear of losing my visa which was great. I had very little planning experience at the time and the laws were just as strict then.

The industry is regulated by the government so they survive the econimic cycles and have a constant supply of contruction work, especially in the mining industry. There are always demands for planners over there for what i can asess over the past 5 years. If you really want to get there, you will......
Steve Burrows
User offline. Last seen 11 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Not as far as I’m aware, there is a lot of work for Planners in Australia, not heard of any issues that would stop foreigners landing coming here. I have only been here for 6 weeks for myself.

Steve
Tony Hughes
User offline. Last seen 17 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
Planners,

I heard this morning on site that Austrialia has closed its doors to foreign workers as of last week!!

Has anyone heard about this or can they confirm

Steve Burrows
To be honest its not too different from Uk. H&S on site seems to be at the forefront of everything which is good.

I haven’t been here long enough to give a full firm opinion but its been good so far, and a little more laid back, people are more into finding solutions than laying blame.
A nice change I’m sure you will agree !!

Steve
Peter Casson
Nice to hear from you Steve, how are you finding it?

mycareer is a new one for me, thanks for that.
Steve Burrows
I recently came to Queensland on a 457 visa.
there is a lot of work here for Planners and in Perth, money pretty good too.

Seek is a good website as is mycareer.

Best of luck

Steve
Peter Casson
Thanks Chris I appreciate your advice, I’m a regular visitor to that site amongst others. I had noticed recently that some of the job adverts seemed to be leaning towards the type used to trawl for CVs, so I thought I’d try and get answers from people at the coal face as well.
Chris Oggham
User offline. Last seen 9 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
Peter,

I can’t answer your questions but a friend of mine recently did what you are planning, and he got a lot of information from the Careerone website. If you take a look at their site, or maybe send them an e-mail, they may be able to help you.

Chris Oggham