Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Plan

13 replies [Last post]
rosie finnegan
User offline. Last seen 10 years 41 weeks ago. Offline

xxx

Replies

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 27 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Hi

All are created equal but some end up more equal than others

Best regards

Mike Testro
Carmen Arape
User offline. Last seen 7 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Anoon,

your thought is wrong
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
"This will make a difference only when they have to select amongst equal candidates".

i thought all men are created equal?
Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Rosie,

I was in a discussion today with an expert in this field and he stated that a person should take a "professional" degree after about 7 years of practice.

This will make a difference only when they have to select amongst equal candidates.

Good luck,

Samer
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 27 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Hi Rosie

I have read your thread with interest. I earn my very good living as a forensic delay analyst and the most useful qualification I earned was GCE carpentry - 50 odd years ago.

If anyone asks I tell them I am an "unqualified success".

Apply for the Planning Engineers Organisation - when your thesis is accepted you will have the letters MPEO to your name - this is recognised more and more around the world.

I should add that the second most useful qualification I have is MPEO.

Best regards

Mike Testro
rosie finnegan
guys,

again thanks for the info.
I have of course had constant training while on the job i.e.

P3E (V5) advanced planning
Project Mangement ITMA diploma
Risk assesment managment

to name but a few

but my initial post was about a particular technical degree.
I will certainly check out the sites you sent me.

rosie
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
Rosie
I fully suport Carmen’s idea. PMP, Prince2 or others would be a helpful certificate.
Now you have some years of experience. Did you ever see an electrician plan a piping, a mechanical engineer plan instrumentation? As a planner you must have a broad area of technical understanding and feeling, must have excellent communication and presentation skills, be able to structurize tasks, be able to read a tender or a contract, have some understanding on cost controls. Most are NOT basics of engineering.
Don’t be afraid. Don’t be discouraged by ignorants! Have some self confidence, because YOU have experience.
Please don’t misunderstand me. For planning and scheduling more skills are required in addition to engineering. Engineers must learn different things.
Regards
Dieter
Carmen Arape
R F ,

You do not have to gravitate, please check following association:

Planning Engineers Organization (UK)
American Institute of certified planners
PMI - project management institute

Search in this forum under “Project services career issues” some threads about the theme HOW to get a certificate.

Cheers,

rosie finnegan
Carmen,

your words do not offend at all.
people come to different jobs through different channels and I think at the end of the day if one is unable to function in a particular role then the employer will soon see this and hopefully act accordingly.
As far as I’m aware there is no accredited Planning Degree course and therefore it is a profession that people gravitate to because they love it. that’s the case for me anyway.
I’m very confident of my abilities as a planner I can’t however speak up for Process designers.

thanks again for you response
I do find this forum very informative and helpful.

rosie
Carmen Arape
R F,

I hope that my words do not offend you. That was not the intention.

I have a technical degree, years of experience based on Home office and site. And I would like to have a certificate coming from any respectable institution.

I was wondering WHY I do not find process designers without technical degree and just years of experience.

Cheers,
rosie finnegan
Thanks for the response guys,

I not too convinced that I’m doing a worse job than any other planner simply because i have no degree.
I have proven again and again that I’m up to the challenge.
I’ll just have to prove that in any upcomming interviews.

thanks again
r.f.
Carmen Arape
Rosie,

It depends of the Company you are looking for.

I can classify 4 key players in the business of projects:
Client
EPC contractor (including CM construction management)
Design contractor (ONLY)
Construction Contractor (ONLY)

Within these 3 key players, you can consider:
Size and business

For instance, regarding size you can find:
Small, medium or big projects.

Regarding business, you can find :
Oil& Gas, chemical , mining, power and so ON.

Any Key player, executing big or medium projects in the Oil& Gas Business is requesting a technical degree. Just experience is no longer valid. According to my experience and in America (South).

Wait for others planners to post comments regarding Europe or UK.

Cheers,
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Rosie
This will depend on the company. There are many companies where any activity for hiring is restricted to engineers - others are not able to structure a project and to create a plan, they believe. It depends on the power of the user department against HR as well - strong HR no or little chance, strong involvement of planning team, big chances for you. For contractual work it should be easier for you.
It’s just my private opinion.
Good luck!
Dieter