Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Working in the US? An open question...

6 replies [Last post]
David Podmore
User offline. Last seen 12 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Do we have any Planning Engineers (Schedulers?) in the forum from the USA?

Can you recommend working there and what are the opportunities and salary/rates like? I’ve heard much about the Far East and Europe but not much from the USA; I find this quite odd and wonder if the terminology is at fault.

I know the relative cost of living to the UK as I have friends in the US to compare with. However, as they are not within Engineering of any type they know nothing of the role or it’s "worth"

Replies

David Podmore
Oh ho! I know all about visas and green cards! My chum Chris is doing his nut at the moment trying to get one. He works for a US company, is paid in USD, has a Cherokee wife and lives in North Carolina but can’t get a green card!!! Go figure...
Glenn Douglas
User offline. Last seen 2 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
David P

There is one job posted on pp in California on an airport building works.

Not as many days holiday as we get in the UK so if you’re staff you work more hours for your money.

You would need a visa such as a B1 or B2 (I think) where you are basically sponsored by a company for say 12 months.
You can apply for a green once you’re there and if you have good formal qualifications that will help (HNC upwards)
Or there is a green card lottery every year where they let so many in.
Or work on the black market. I know quite a few people who stayed after their visa expired and they are happily working (and paying taxes) without a green card, however when they travel back to the UK they always have the worry of not getting back into the US. So worried that some haven’t left in 15 years.

If you was going to relocate for good it could be a good time to buy a cheap house.
David Andreotti
User offline. Last seen 8 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Obviously it depends on experience. $60-120K US
Sam Nichols
User offline. Last seen 8 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
It is not good to be paid in the USeless dollar at present. It is like getting a large pay cut every month!

SAM
David Podmore
Cheers Se,

I’ll look at those sites. I was hoping for some personal insights as well. I applied for residency for Canada about 15 years ago (and was "let in") but my personal circumstances changed so didn’t proceed. Now here I am looking at the US! It must be a time-of-life thing...

D
Se de Leon
User offline. Last seen 3 years 1 week ago. Offline
Hi David,

Try browsing these internet addresses:

http://www.primavera.com/careers/pmjobs_all.asp
http://www.schedulers.com/jobs/listing.jsp
http://www.aacei.org/

In AACE website, they are publishing salary surveys for planners/schedulers for various industries. I believe you need to be a member first to download this data.

I hope this helps.

Se