Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Working in Calgary, Canada

19 replies [Last post]
Janet lopez
User offline. Last seen 18 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Hello everybody, I have just received a job offer to work in Calgary, Canada. Job is to be paid at CAD$ 45/hour (which is equivalent to US$ 35/hour) in project controls. I wish to know if this rate is good for a city like Calgary. The more information you can give me, the better, so I will appreciate all the comments (like taxes, house rentals, cost of living, etc.) regarding this important issue. Thanks in advance.

Replies

Alex Seligman
User offline. Last seen 15 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Can anyone give me an insight into the recruiting situation despite the economic downturn?

Have applied for 10 jobs so far, but absolutely NO responses, not even acknowledgements.

I have 1 year to ’land’ in the country as an immigrant.

Thanks.
Simon Peter Cordner
User offline. Last seen 13 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Talking about Fort Mac. The place is a hole.

Same cautions about living expenses apply to Calgary though. The oil boom isn’t stopping any time soon and the housing market reflects that.
Alex Seligman
Have I misunderstood here, are we talking about Calgary or Fort Mac in terms of lack of things to do?

The Rockies are on the doorstep of Calgary, NPs located all around, sports galore, a healthy lifestyle and an improving international centre for the arts.
Simon Peter Cordner
Nope, no such luck. It’s an attractive place to work if you have no interests or hobbies, though. If you can hack it there its as lucrative as working overseas.

But I’d echo the caution - the price of living in Fort Mac is EXTREME. Don’t get too enamored of a salary they float you until you call up a few places and see what your monthly rental fees, food and gas costs are going to be.
Alex Seligman
Alex Seligman
I thought Alberta wasn’t subject to Federal income tax which is why it is such an attractive province to work in.
Roldan Bartolome
User offline. Last seen 4 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Lorenzo,

CNRL is difinitely located @ fort mcmurray, the pay is good but you have to take the consideration also of high cost of living in that place.

do you have an offer from cnrl..

roldan
Lorenzo Aquino
User offline. Last seen 4 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
Yes please, especially in the location of CNRL project.
Aneesuddin Zubair...
User offline. Last seen 7 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Guys,

Are you really looking for that information !!!!!

Anees
Lorenzo Aquino
User offline. Last seen 4 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
Would you mind to give us information of Fort McMurray please.

Thanks.
Mike George
User offline. Last seen 18 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Janet,
Did they hire you for Fort McMurray or Calgary. Can you tell me about the employer.I can give more inputs.

Regards
Carmen Arape
User offline. Last seen 7 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Hi janet,

Good luck and may be you can tell the site where you have found this good post.

Ciao
carmen
Simon Peter Cordner
Based on a salary of CAD$93600, you’re looking at around $20k in Federal income taxes and $10k in Provincial income taxes, so net should be around CAD$65k.

Based on your experience and the position offered, your salary is in the correct range as well.
Raja Izat Raja Ib...
User offline. Last seen 13 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
HiJanet
WOW.. After this U can become JLO, Are u sister of JLO?.
Norzul Ibrahim
User offline. Last seen 16 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Janet,

Wow, wish I could get that amount of salary...

Good luck

norzul
Janet lopez
User offline. Last seen 18 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Hi again,

Thank you to all who responded to my post. I will work in the oil/energy industry in Alberta (projects related to oil sands), my official title will be Senior Planning Engineer and I have 10 years of experience. Now, I would like to know how much will I pay (as an average) in taxes in order to know my net income.

Once again, thank you for your time and your opinions.

Simon Peter Cordner
I question whether some of you are actually posting from computers equipped with onboard calculators or not.

$45/hr @ 40hrs/wk * 52wks/yr = CAD$93600/yr.

Equivalently, its about US$83000.
Or €67000.
Or £46000.
Or 177000 Bs.

Ms Lopez, this is good money, assuming you’re working 40 hours a week. Calgary is a very nice city and Canadians are a friendly bunch who like their long weekends.

I assume that this is in petrochem? What would your ’official’ title be, and how much experience do you have? That would help to determine if you’re in the right ballpark or not. Certainly its a good fee for a generic Project Controls position.

House/apartment rental would run you anywhere from CAD$900 (an okay apartment, unfurnished) and up to a max of around CAD$3000 (furnished place in a downtown highrise); that’s a range of 1700-5700 bolívares. Try to get covered or underground parking, since clearing snow off your vehicle can be a pain in the rear during winter. I would expect your Cost of Living expenses (barring your rent) to be roughly twice what you’d pay in Caracas.

Hope that helps.
Chris Oggham
User offline. Last seen 9 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Janet,

I think Charlie may have been a little over-optimistic in his appraisal of your earnings potential in Calgary. If you haven`t already done so, it might be worth your while to find out how many hours your employer wants you to work each week.

If it is a standard week (usually around 40 hours over five days) then your earnings will be CAD$13,600 per month. This works out at a bit over GBP£80,000 per year, pretty good money.

If your hours are less than a standard week then, of course, your pay will be less as well. So find out your guaranteed hours and make your calculations based on those.

If you want to click on the link, that will give you some information about wages in Canada

Good luck, I hope everything goes well for you.

Chris Oggham
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 3 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Janet,

I computed your pay: $35/hr X 8 hr/day X 26 days/mo = $7,280 per month (x 3.65 AED/USD = 26,572 AED/month). WOW

That is a big pay check per month. I think you will live a luxurious life there in Calgary, Canada. Maybe.

I’m sorry i cannot give you more imformation since i have not been to Calgary, only i saw picture of Calgary.

Cheers,

charlie