Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Working in Canada

8 replies [Last post]
David Garcia
User offline. Last seen 18 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Hello everybody,

Could any of you tell me, about how is it working in Canada, please?

I’m specially interested in the following information:

1) Legal issues (Work permit)

2) Hourly rate expected for a planner/scheduler with over 10 years of experience

3) Companies developing large projects for the oil/gas industry

4) What location offers the best conditions to work in Canada

Thank you in advance.

Replies

Ruel Bacani
User offline. Last seen 6 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Rhonda

could you give me more info about the tax in canada especially in Fort McMurray and Snap Lake (De Beers Project). Could you send your reply to rbacani@hatch.com.au

regards
Ruel
Aneesuddin Zubair...
User offline. Last seen 7 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi Rhonda,

Of course, Canada is a beautiful place and the standard of living is good, I have studied in Canada and Worked in USA. But one does not need to live there to know the climate... we are talking about the climate of Fort McMurray, Alberta, Here is the weblink http://www.discoveralberta.com/TravelEssentials/WeatherClimate ----- this how the website says "If nothing else, the weather in Canada is always a conversation topic. The world’s image of Canada is as a cold place. While this is true - it can and does get very cold in Canada, temperatures vary throughout the year, and......"

Anees
RHONDA LLOYD
User offline. Last seen 9 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
have you ever BEEN to Canada?
Yes, the winters are cold, but not much snow before Xmas and usually gone by late March, depending where you live.

Canada is a beautiful place anf the standard of living is WAY above asnywhere I;ve ever lived, and I’ve lived all over.
Check your facts
Aneesuddin Zubair...
User offline. Last seen 7 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Hi guys,

Check the tax system and climate in Alberta to make an informed decision. Climate - Cold round the year and snow most of the time, Taxes - Unlike other states I think there is not Province tax but federal tax is more than 40% (direct and indirect), because of construction boom rental prices have gone up.

Cheers

Anees
RHONDA LLOYD
User offline. Last seen 9 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Fort McMurray, Northern Alberta is the best, $60+ /hr and 60-70 hr weeks. Oil & Gas
You need living allowance too.
Labour is so short they are importing from all over and getting permits for you.

Checkout workopolis.com
Brad Lord
User offline. Last seen 10 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
The Daily Telegraph has had jobs advertised in Canada in the last month or so, try logging on to the job page. www.telegraph.co.uk,

regards

bradley
Richard Baker
User offline. Last seen 11 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Hi
I am contemplating emigrating to Canada and am interested in taking up a planning role in Vancouver if possible. Did you find any information about rates or work availability ?

I’d be happy for any information you found out.

Regards
Chris Oggham
User offline. Last seen 9 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
David,

Can’t help you much I’m afraid, but try the link below, or contact the Canadian Embassy in Buenos Aires.

Canadian Embassy Information

Chris Oggham