Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Switching to a career in planning

5 replies [Last post]
Jack Black
User offline. Last seen 19 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hello all,

I have a degree in civil engineering and have 2 years deisgn office experience and 6 years site supervision experience on large civil engineering projects. I also have a year or so experience doing forensic planning work for a claims consultancy.

I am interested in moving into "live" planning. Can anyone porvide any hints on what options I may have with respect to getting a planning position.

All comments welcome.

Thanks in advance Jack

Replies

Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,

You also need to have proficiency in planning software.

As a start, do excel planning producing gantt chart and excel graphs, s-curve, histogram, etc

Then you work up with MS Project

And finally, develop proficiency in Primavera P3

Wish you good job hunting and job hopping.
Philip Jonker
User offline. Last seen 15 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
HI JACK<

CONTACT ME LET"S TALK< SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE READY

REGARDS

PHILIP
Jihad Daniel
User offline. Last seen 8 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Good Luck Jack Black in your Black Jack Planning career.

Regards,
J. Daniel
Chris Oggham
User offline. Last seen 9 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Jack,

Dayanidhi is right. With your experience, it might well be just a case of finding the right opening. If you can pick up some experience with planning software this will help your chances. Build on your strengths, try to fill the gaps in your knowledge and there is no reason at all why you shouldn’t make a successful career in planning.

Good Luck

Chris Oggham
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
User offline. Last seen 3 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
You could see a lot of advts on planning positions are coming from UK, highlight your experience on forensic planning that will fetch you a job easily in your area i believe and you can develop your career further in the forensic planning as claim disputes are comparatively high in your area(as per ACOSTE magazine.... i can’t remember the edition number).....