Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Agencies & Consultancies

27 replies [Last post]
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi Guys

Is anyone else a little agrieved by the lack of responce by agencies & consultancies once you have applied for the advertised "position"

Maybe we can start something like league tables, that they do for schools, trusts etc here in the uk

Replies

Forum Guest
I do notice the agencies dont reveal who they are. I will wait for the comment about me not revealing my name but I will if they will. I have also got wind of a blackbook agencies have, if so its about time that the data protection act is invoked on some of these agencies and lets really see the comments they have on the candidates.
I think more people should pay the fee to the companies concerened and see what info they keep on us.
Agencies is not something you can refuse as long as your given 1 months notice to your data controller, and guys you can see your files for 1 year eg files from 1 month, 3 months, 6 months 9 months and 12 months

please no moderators out of the country as this is a uk law
Forum Guest
The Agencies win again!!!
Forum Guest
Good Arguement, well presented
Bernard Ertl
User offline. Last seen 9 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
Warning to all Forum Guests

Expressing opinions and ideas is fine - name calling, taunting, flaming etc. is not. Let’s keep conversations cordial and respectful of others please.

Bernard Ertl
InterPlan Systems Inc. - Project Management Software, Project Planning Software
Forum Guest
No, I actually disagree. I am however too busy finding people jobs to spend a lengthy amount of time discussing this point with people who have no idea of what we do.
Forum Guest
Stop deleting posts. Let people express themselves.
Forum Guest
[Taunting comment deleted by Moderator.]
Paul Knighting
User offline. Last seen 11 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Once again we have a forum guest being quite vocal !

If we are going to have a meaningful debate it would be nice for an agency to truly represent their industry.

Point 1
With the ever-evolving development of the Internet, I think we will see a trend towards main contractors developing their own agencies (sky blue solutions) - direct sourcing! As it is a lot easier for hirers to market/advertise vacancies
Point 2
Agencies duplicate the advertising of vacancies to such an extent, that I for one feel that Recruitment Business’s do not make the "job finding" process that much easier.
Point 3
What an Employment Business charges their client is as you say your business. However what you charge your client for my services is my business.
Point 4 (and the last for now)
My last two contract appointments have been for a continuous total of 4 years. These appointments were initiated and negotiated by me. I went to my current agency to facilitate my contract on the basis that I had a good relationship with them. So what employment business’s need to be careful of, is that it is a two way street, us guys/gals on the ground, can and usually are the first to know about any pending positions.

About the Limited company status: This is a vehicle for which some people prefer to manage their employment contracts (i personally do not). It’s about time people realised that being a limited company (small business & all that) is a way of best managing a contracting position and not simply a tax evasion tool. I can assure you there are no tax loop-holes any more for Limited Companies.

Or are these just sour grapes?

Lets remember what the original thread was about; it was about the professional conduct of Employment Business’s. Reviewing some of the statements in these postings, I can see the debate becomes easier for us planners with the passing of time!
Forum Guest
[duplicate post deleted]
Forum Guest
Regards agency rates:

I have had untold problems due to the greed of agencies. You may believe that it is none of our business (from the contractor’s point of view) but when agencies ask for upto 33% then the contractor and the business are effectively having their hands tied when the overall rate is top dollar and the scope for renegotiation becomes very limited. I lost some excellent contractors due to the agency rates being none negotiable.

If the contractor chooses to work under a Ltd co. then what exactly do agencies do after the initial contract agreement? - very little! I’m quite happy to accept that a certain amount is due for ’finder’s fees’ but if the contract is continually extended, because the contractor is recognised as valuable to the company, then the agency is getting money purely for administration work - invoicing, contract extensions etc.

It has nothing to do with small mindedness (by the contractor anyway) it’s about value for money.

I’ll stick by my original statement - Some agencies are unprofessional in their attitude. You may be the exception but somehow I doubt it - when was the last time your advised a candidate they were unsuitable for a position purely on reading their cv?
Forum Guest
Saying that agencies are unporfessional is a bit unfair I think. Obviously you take the position that agencies provide no help etc. You are wrong, without us you would find it a lot more difficult to get a job. Also, asking our rates is silly. We work within specific budgets for our clients and that is of no importance to you. The problem is that so many people are so small minded that they see so many things in the wrong light. If you run a Ltd company and you are contracting then you have no reason to ask our cut.
Forum Guest
[inappropriate post deleted by moderator]
Forum Guest
Paul is spot on that it is nothing more than professional courtesy to reply to all candidates - How many companies advertising directly never respond to applications? - erm none - But hey they are professional!

I wouldn’t expect a critique but a ’thanks but no thanks’ is the least I expect.

I would also like to see recruiters specify their cut as well.
Having been on both sides as recruiter and prospective candidate I know they’re are often problems later on with these consultants who charge exorbitant rates for let’s face it doing next to nothing.

Forum Guest
Oooeer. This is getting interesting!

One thing that was raised by a recruiter previously was a suggestion that, as part of the job advert, the recruiter was to specify 2 or 3 primary requirements, i.e. "Key Requirement 1’, "Key Requirement 2" etc.

The suggestion was that in the application process, the applicant would be required to answer these key requirements selecting answers from a picklist etc, showing how he/she considers himself/herself to be qualified against that key requirement.

The suggestion was explained thus...

Advert
Key Requirement 1: 10 Years Petro-chem
Key Requirement 2: MS Project Expert
Key Requirement 3: Able to Work in Australia
(plus usual text-based job description)

Application
Key Requirement 1: 10 Years Petro-chem [ 8 ] years
Key Requirement 2: MS Project [ expert ] level
Key Requirement 3: Australia Work Permit [ Yes ]

If something like this was arranged we could automatically create a simple (private?) web page for each job advert that shows the applicants and ranks (for the recruiter) each one using the answers to the key requirements. We would need to have get the recruiter to specify the required key-skill answers to be either a picklist of percentages, years experience or a list of ’expert’, ’novice’ etc or perhaps a fixed width text input field. This would allow the applications to be ranked for the recruiter (as opposed to him getting an un-filtered bunch of cv-attached emails) and speed up the selection / sorting process.

We could also offer a hyperlink that could send an auto response from the recruiter to the applicant like ’I think we may be in touch’ or ’thanks for the application, but we wont be coming back to you’ etc, and once this link was clicked for each applicant on that job list his/her name would dissapear (ie recruiter having responded).

This could speed up the recruiters selection (providing the job posting / application remains simple and quick) and also force the recruiter (asuming he/she wishes to use the system) to action each applicant and take them off such a ’pending’ listing. In this way we would know if our application was going anywhere and the recruiter (by actioning each applicant using the ’your ok’, ’your not ok’ hyperlink) could selectively get the CVs sent to him or not.

Any ideas / comments / offers of a specific proceedure ?
Forum Guest
Paul,

If we replied to every candidate that approached us then we would never get anyone a job because we would spend all of our time telling people why they are not right.

In terms of adverts, I believe that they are now so specific that we shouldn’t receive 200+ applications per role but we still do.

You may only apply for jobs that are 100% relevant for you but the majority of people out there send their CV’s to any job that they have 50% of the skills for.

If we could get people to respond to jobs that they are 80%+ suited for then we could spend more time helping people find the right role
Paul Knighting
A little bit disappointing that some of the Recruitment Agency’s haven’t seen this a an opportunity to bring this topic to an end.

To join in as a Forum Guest (recruiter), doesn’t quite cut the mustard.

To also say that not receiving a response means that your C.V. has been received and you are deemed as not suitable is in my opinion fairly outrageous. As a professional recruitment company, I would have thought that as a matter of due courtesy, the submitter of a c.v. at least deserves an email/telephone call (or indeed one of those letter things that the post man delivers) just to inform the person of the status of the application, was only a matter of course for a Recruitment Agency.

Giving a response detailing why the application will not be going forward, can help the candidate understand why what experience etc they are lacking.

End result is candidate only applies for realistically achievable positions; agency doesn’t get as many applications from the same people day in day out.

Less spurious advertisements would also help for instance planners with the following experience are sought: "Rail/Aviation/Commercial/Retail/Arts/Leisure/Education/Residential and health to mention a few ".

If you have experience in all these areas I would like to meet you as well, you must be at least 190 years of age to be that experienced, or your no use nor ornament to anybody as you have no real experience in any field whatsoever !!
Forum Guest
[Deleted by Moderator.]
Forum Guest
The reason that jobs are placed on jobserve etc is that it is easiest and quickest way to get immediately available consultants. It also brings a lot of permanent consultants who are looking for first time contracts. Generally Recruitment Consultants will have an idea of who is available from their databases, via resource teams.

Yes I am a Recruitment Consultant
Forum Guest
are you saying that jobs are put out to jobserve etc before you look at your own database of candidates.

If this is the case why do you keep peoples details on file.

I do take it that you are a recruitment consultant by your remarks
Forum Guest
and just how many jobs are out there ??????????

It doesnt seem to me there are falling out of the trees

Forum Guest
Before you start crucifying agencies who don’t respond or come back with responses like ’the position has been put on hold’, you should try and get an idea of what we go throuch from request to placement.

1 - Client comes to us with a requirement/Client is canvassed for business.

2 - Roles are generally advertised on jobserve etc.

3 - Agent searches databases/networks.

4 - Candidates are submitted to client

5 - Interviews

6 - Offer/Placement

Easy yes?

No! In this current climate we will typically get over 200 responses per advert. Out of those 200 there will usually be 5% of candidates who could be suitable. The other 95% are not the right fit. When we are getting 50/60 calls per day asking us for feedback then it becomes quite difficult to give individual feedback on all CV’s. People should realise that if their CV is sent and they don’t get feedback then they are not suitable and they should leave it. They shouldn’t pester agencies to the point of becoming a pest.

Sorry about the rant, but sometimes I feel that people should look at the ’bigger’ picture before making judgements.....
Forum Guest
We have had a lot of emails from PPers who have said that in the vast majority of cases they have ’received no feedback at all’ from certain recruiters. This is true I know. However, there are some VERY professional and reliable recruiters in our list and is is unfair to generalise about them.

If anyone has any ideas on how we create a fair league table of sorts, we will be pleased to help facilitate it. As you know the site is run by volunteer planners for us planners.

One idea would be for some of us (any volunteers?) to work on this issue. If no-one volunteers specific ideas, or proceedures then we will make slow progress (a bit like the rail project I’m on!) - we are planners, so this should not be a difficult thing for us!

If people are unhappy about the perceived quality of "many of the recruiters on the site" then we would welcome them introducing us to some of the "recommended" ones. The site is only as good as we choose to make and develop it, so why not work together on this?

Regards.
Forum Guest
what are the rules for agencies etc to place "vacancies" on Planning Planet?
Steve Craine
User offline. Last seen 5 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
Id be happy to start collating ideas etc

I see from previous posts that this is a topic that is quite popular.

I have a work college who is working with the Dti on the new agency bill. One of the growing topics in there survey is the actual signingoff of the purchase order before any recruitment can take place.

I know I have become very frustrated by the universal reply "sorry the position has been put on hold "
Paul Knighting
[ Duplicate Post Removed ]
Paul Knighting
This is a great idea, it’s not just the null response. I am fairly convinced that alot of agencies, most of which are on this site, are just CV colllecting with a lot of their advertisements. ie "salary between 15-80k, company involved in health,stadia, rail, marine, civils, structural projects." "Only experienced planners with the relevant background need apply!"

Yeah, right !!

Most good agencies are members of the "Recruitment & Employment Confederation" which has a code of practice.

I think Planning Planet should may be look at who is advertising on the site and indeed the league table idea is excellent and fully supported by me.
Steve Craine
User offline. Last seen 5 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
I think its a good idea.

There are a few dogey agencies Id like to list and warn people away from using there services