Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Major & Intermediate Milestone

19 replies [Last post]
Aryan Yap
User offline. Last seen 14 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Hello Guys,

I would like to know what are the difference between Major & Intermediate Milestone?

Thank you & Best Regards,

Aryan

Replies

R. Catalan
User offline. Last seen 12 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Dear Samer,

Particular Conditions of Contract.

Sorry for using PCC, I know it’s not universally known abbreviation.

Best regards,
R. Catalan
Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Dear R,

What is meant by PPC? Thank you for your response in advance.

With kind regards,

Samer
R. Catalan
Dear mimoune,

In construction industry, normally LDs is applied if the Contractor fails to comply with Time for Completion.

There are contracts (PCC/adjustments to FIDIC) that allows suspension of monthly payments in relation to a milestone (Intermediate) in respect of milestone which have not been achieved on a particular month and payment will be resumed after the said milestone is achieved on the next monthly payment applications.

I think it’s a good practice to include LD clauses in your Subcon’s contract in order to cover your interests when there’s delay attributed to your Subcon.

Best regards,
R. catalan

Samer Zawaydeh
Dear mimoune,

The Contractor must achieve the milestones because that zero duration activity (milestone) is connected to many other activities, which will not start without completing the milestone.

After all, one of the Contractor’s main targets is to complete the job as fast as possible and save on overhead.

With kind regards,

Samer
mimoune djouallah
User offline. Last seen 5 years 2 days ago. Offline
samer

thanks for the "exact" definition, my point was a why a subcontractor should care if there is no LD linked to the milestone ?
Samer Zawaydeh
Dear Anoon,

You are close. Here is the definition from "The Practice Standard for Scheduling" from PMI.
"
Milestone, page 94: A significant point or event in the project.

Schedule Milestone, page 100: A significant event in the project schedule, such as an event restraining future work or marking the completion of a major deliverable. A schedule milestone has zero duration. Sometimes called a milestone activity.
"
With kind regards,

Samer
Christian Adrian ...
User offline. Last seen 4 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Aryan

In my previous project our contract defines what are the Intermediate and Major milestones, so I would suggest you have to check your contract just to make sure.

Anoon

I like that term... "Political Milestone" :-)
thank for the idea...
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Samer,

A milestone is a stone marker which indicates a certain mark (i would guess in miles) as you can see along the roads.

In scheduling, I would assume that it is also used as marker, i.e. for a start and/or finish of an activity or group of activities. So here, a milestone maybe singular or plural; major or minor, which represent a certain time.

Samer Zawaydeh
Dear Mimoune,

A "milestone" is an activity with zero duration. So you can have any activity you like depending on the project type, environment or requirements to be set as a milestone. It does not have to be related to LDs in any way.

With kind regards,

Samer
mimoune djouallah
User offline. Last seen 5 years 2 days ago. Offline
"What if the milestone is not covered with LD"
so it is not a milestone. i think the phrase coined by Anoon is a good one "political milestone"

best regards

PS: I’ll forward this thread to our contract manager, he will like it for sure
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 17 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Hi Catalan

Remember that in the simple meaning of the word - excluding Military and Musical examples - Major means greater and Minor means lesser.

Greater or lesser than what is never clear.

I was running a claim on a steel mill in Egypt some time ago when an amendment to the FIDIC 5 stated that only Major variations would be valued.

I argued that variations that reduced work should not be valued because they were minor- only major variations which added value should be includeed.

It would probably have worked but for the fact that my employer was a Japanese contractor and they bottled it.

The point is that some words in English have a precise meaning and should not be used loosely.

Others have multiple meanings and should be used very carefully.

Whenever I see the phrase "for the avoidance of doubt" I reach for my thesaurus.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Shah. HB
User offline. Last seen 31 weeks 21 hours ago. Offline
Hi Catalan

Your message really sounds good .Many Thanks
R. Catalan
Aryan,

I would suggest to change the terminology:

- Major to Contractual Milestone

- Minor to Construction Milestone

Sometimes there’s many ideas on which milestone is major or minor.

Best regards,

R. Catalan
Shah. HB
User offline. Last seen 31 weeks 21 hours ago. Offline
Hi

Major milestone you could define as discussed below project start and finish,then followed by power on , municipality connection.

Intermediate milestones could be your sectional completion targets for example in a tower project, completion of plant room at basement level is an interim milestone
Samer Zawaydeh
Dear Aryan,

The following events can be considered as an Intermediate Milestone:

1. Arrival of Major Equipment to site.
2. Approval of Design drawings by Owner.
3. Testing and Commissioning
4. Removal of Big Tower Cranes from Site.

These event will start plenty of other activities after them.

With kind regards,

Samer
Aryan Yap

Thank you....

Anoon Iimos
you can call it a political milestone
Aryan Yap
Hi Anoon,

Thank you for quick response. What if the milestone is not covered with LD, can we call them intermediate milestone but it is part of the contractual milestone?

Thank you & Best Regards,

Aryan
Anoon Iimos
I would guess major milestones to be contract start and completion; and Intermediate milestones as interim milestones