Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Reduce the negative total float

4 replies [Last post]
Jenny Ingco
User offline. Last seen 2 years 45 weeks ago. Offline

Dear Scheduler...

I have project 4000 activities and with TF = -117 in the current schedule NOT baseline, because we already late and behaind the schedule. My PM he want me to reduce the -ve TF before we submit it to the owner. So, any suggestions?

Thank you,

Replies

Jenny Ingco
User offline. Last seen 2 years 45 weeks ago. Offline

Thanks guys ... yes you right it's cheatting we all know that but just at the current time to keep our contract and project ongoing and the owner happy without threating to close the project. the best thing to do is by working double shifts so we can reduce the -ve TF and back to the track. Thanks again guys...

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 21 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Hi Hanson

Take off all the constraints and see what your true delay position is.

Then follow Daniels advice.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Daniel Limson
User offline. Last seen 5 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hanson,

That is what I call cheating! If you are culpable for the delay then the best way to do it is to study the programme's critical path where you have negative float and plan a real delay recovery measure(s) (DRM) by increasing resources, or by working double shifts and study where you can pull back some time, once a project is delayed, it is very diffcult to recover.

If the other party is culpable for the delay, then it is in your advantage to show the real delay and ask for extension of time.

Best regards,

Daniel

Raymund de Laza
User offline. Last seen 8 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Hanson,

Filter to critical path and reduce some lags accordingly.