Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Primavea 6.2.1 callenders

5 replies [Last post]
Mark Dunn
User offline. Last seen 11 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

I have a schedule with a base callender of 8hrs per day.  when I add activities and give them a specific callender of 24 hrs per day I have to enrter 3 days into the duration column to get 1 day between the early start/early finish dates.  Does anyone have any idea how to solve this?  Thanks, Mark

Replies

Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 22 weeks ago. Offline

As Sandy said, the conversion factors should be in the activity calendar; not one global or user-specified setting.  That is what Primavera implemented in P7v7.  All conversion factors are now assigned to the activity calendar.  Version 7 also has improved summary durations calcs, and they fixed the Midnight Default Time Issue.  I recommend upgrading to Version 7!

Sandy Matheson
User offline. Last seen 11 years 4 days ago. Offline

In my view this is a long term major problem with 'P6'.  Due to having the view of durations governed by 'user preferences' and not the activity calendar we now plan all our projects in 24 hour calendar and have to 'manage' the manning/resource leveling issues that presents.  I brought this up with Primavera several years ago (before selling up to Oracle) and they claimed this was 'as users specified' which is a crap reply.  They did suggest work arounds as Paul identified but we should not need to be messing with such a basic function.

Paul Bradley
User offline. Last seen 1 year 49 weeks ago. Offline

Mark,

Always plan in hours, not days.  Change your user preferences to show hours and then put 8 hours in for 1 day on an 8-hour calendar, 24 hours for 1 day on a 24 hour calendar.  If you want to show shifts, then use gobal changes and user defined fields to generate a text field stating the number of remaining shifts calculated from the duration in hours and the number of hours in a day as per your calendar.

Paul

Nikolay Spasibenko
User offline. Last seen 6 years 35 weeks ago. Offline

In User Preferences you set hours/day which is defaulted to 8. Unless you have too many activities with 24 hour calendars, I suggest to keep as default. Depending to which depth you go with budgeting units and resource profiles it might be better to not use 24h calendar or plan in hours. (either ends of the scale) 

Nikolay Spasibenko
User offline. Last seen 6 years 35 weeks ago. Offline

In User Preferences you set hours/day which is defaulted to 8. Unless you have too many activities with 24 hour calendars, I suggest to keep as default. Depending to which depth you go with budgeting units and resource profiles it might be better to not use 24h calendar or plan in hours. (either ends of the scale)