Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P6 Vr 7 BL1 Total Cost Variance

3 replies [Last post]
Robin Kilmister
User offline. Last seen 12 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hello Planners,

I’m hoping that I have made a simple error somewhere with my calculations that can solve my current mystery.

Presently I have a plan that is progressing; the budget is set and measured as a maintained project BL.

To measure monthly update variances I maintain and assign a further baseline of the current project to the plan. When I assign the current project as BL1 I am getting a variance in the BL1 total cost - At completion total cost.

Why does the BL1 Total cost (of either assigned current project or a maintained BL of the current project) not equal At completion total cost for the project?

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Robin.

Replies

Robin Kilmister
User offline. Last seen 12 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Niles,

That’s cracked it! Thanks for the advice.

Cheers

Robin.
niles luo
User offline. Last seen 13 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
hi,
The ’BL project total cost’ can equal to ’project budget’ or ’at completion total cost’ depends on the option admin->admin preferencs->earned value->earned value calculation. If you want to it equal to at completion total cost , you may set ’at completion values with current dates’.

Best Regards.
Andrew Dick
User offline. Last seen 8 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Robin,
I’d be breaking down the budget into its component parts and looking for where the variance is.
Sounds like there could be an escalation issue, whereby the schedule moves to the right or left moving jobs across the date of change in resource rates (escalation etc)

That’s the simple fix, because you should see a variance between baselines, when you create the new monthly baseline it will be created from planned dates and if the work has moved either way across one of these rate escalation dates you will get a different answer because the work is happening in a different timeframe.

anyway that’s where i’d look to start.

Andy