Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

BL1 Total Float Calculation Issues

1 reply [Last post]
Kyle Colcher
User offline. Last seen 8 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

I am currently having issues with the value that is displayed in the BL1 Total Float column.

I can snap a baseline of the current project and this column will show a different value of than what the live project file shows.

For example :  Activity has float of -68 days in the current project (which is the  correct float).  I assign the current project as a a baseline and add the BL1 Total Float column.  This column displays -210 days of float.

Any ideas what may be causing this problem.  I do not think it is any logic issues because the open project is calculating the float correctly.  It is only to incorrect on the assigned baselines.

This is also true if I assign another project as a baseline.  If the project is opened alone, the correct float is displayed, once assigned as a baseline, the same issue happens.

Thanks,

Kyle Colcher

Replies

Neils Gao
User offline. Last seen 8 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

The dates used to show after the baseline is saved is PLANNED START and PLANNED FINISH of the baseline schedule, so I am thinking the reason may be the planned dates are not exactly same with current dates in your current schedule, and the TF will be different as it calculated with planned dates I guess.

The way to resolve it is to show planned start and planned finish column in the activity table and compare with current dates, copy to excel may be quicker I think.