Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Show Summary - Group Totals

6 replies [Last post]
Shareef Abdul Azeez
User offline. Last seen 3 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Hello all

I have encountered a small problem...

I prepared a programme and loaded resources and costs assuming 10 hrs work perday 7 days a week with no holidays (this is a sample programme). I assigned a 10 hr perday 7 days a week calendar.

But later when I checked the user preferences: Time units:

There hours per time period was set at: 8 / 40 /142/2000(something like this).

Now when I changed this to 10/ 70 / 280 /3360, my OD and RD changed (from 40 to 32, 20 to 16, 10 to 8).
and since my duration type was Fixed Duration & Units, the remaining units per time increased consequently.

So I manually changed all the duration back to original (ie 32 to 40, 16 to 20 & 8 to 10).and my remaining units per time returned to the original values.

Now when I used Show summary - Group Totals,----there seems to be some error.

For example :2 acivities each with 10 days
------------OD RD START FINISH
Activity A 10 10 18JUL10 27JUL10
Activity B 10 10 28JUL10 6AUG10

SUMMARY 16 16 18JUL10 6AUG10

It looks like it used 8 days instead of 10 ie 8+8=16.

What is the problem here and how can I correct this?

Now I donot understand why we have a hours pertime period setting and then a calendar setting???We can set up a 10 hrs perday 7 dyas a week setting in the user prefernce and then use a 8 hrs perday 5 days a week calendar on the activity?

Now what is the use of this??? How does this work??
Summary

Now I know how to paste pictures!!!!Yeahhhhh!!! :)

Best regards
Shareef A Azeez

Replies

Shareef Abdul Azeez
Thnax once again Rodel!!!!

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 8 weeks 7 hours ago. Offline
Shareef,
You can always change the global default and Hours per time period for every project that currently working. It is the planner’s responsibility that the settings are correct for each project.
This issue has been resolve in P6v7 where Hours per time period are now associated in calendar and not in users preference anymore. Meaning you can set hours per time period for each calendar defines. P6v7 also have and option to use calendar for time period at admin preferences.
Shareef Abdul Azeez
Thanks Rodel for the information.

You mean to say both Global & Project Claendar can be used!!

Now suppose a particular company has has a normal routine of 8 hrs perday 5 days a week and lets say the company has 2 projects ongoing on this routine.

What if the company got a 3rd project but, there is a client requirement to work 10hrs perday 6 days a week.

What are the settings for this.??

1.what should be the User Preferences-> Time units settings???(settings for 10hrs perday 6 days a week or 8 hrs perday 5 days a week??)(Coz I believe this setting is for all the projects together and not project specific)

2.Lets say I make a Project Calendar for the 3rd project with 10 hrs perday 6 days a week ; but my Global Default Claendar would be 8 hrs perday 5 days a week since I have two ongoing projects on this setting!!
Now as the summary is from Global Default Calendar my summary totals for the 3rd project will be wrong???

How can I handle this??

Thank you once again.

Best Regards
Shareef A Azeez

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 8 weeks 7 hours ago. Offline
Shareef,
P6 use Global Default Calendar for calculating Summary band and WBS summary band. Calendar defines the working days and time of work and hours per time periods use for calculating total durations.

Project Calendar is can be assigned to activity and also can make as a global calendar. You can also use Global calendar and assigned to activity.
Shareef Abdul Azeez
Thanx Joel for the reply.

But it didnot help. But your reply gave me the direction.

I had initially made a Project Calendar of 10hrs perday 7 days a week and applied this to all my activities. But in the Global Calendar a 7dayweek 8hrs/day calendar was set as default.
So I created a Global 10hrs perday 7 days a week and made that default.

This solved the issue.

Now this leads me to another question...
What was the use of my Project Calendar???
I could have used this Global calendar on my activities as well...!!!

Joel Gilbert
User offline. Last seen 4 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
Check your resource calendar and set it up, that should solve it