Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

relationship delete

22 replies [Last post]
kumar s
User offline. Last seen 8 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Guys,
is there a option to remove the relationships for a selected no of activities(200 activities) at once without exporting it to the excel sheet.
like we have the option for linking all activities at once with FS.

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 26 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

filter for those activities then select all of the activities

right clikc and select assign then select successor

then highlight the one you want to delete or highlight all of then then pess the red X on the right 

be patient 

Ananthu Satheesh
User offline. Last seen 7 years 34 weeks ago. Offline

Hi,

I am not sure which version of Primavera is being mentioned.

In P6, Select the activity, goto Relationship tab.. under Predecessor section, click the "Assign" button. The Assign Predecessors window opens up. After this move the cursor back to your original P6 window and select all the activities whose predecessors are to be deleted. Upon doing that, return to the "Assign Predecessors" window and press Ctrl+A. This will select all the activities in "Assign Predecessors" window. Click the Remove Button (there is a small red button on the right hand side of the "Assign Predecessor" window).

Repeat the same steps using "Assign Successors" window. You have now deleted all the relationships linked to the required activities.

Ananthu Satheesh
User offline. Last seen 7 years 34 weeks ago. Offline

Hi,

I am not sure which version of Primavera is being mentioned.

In P6, Select the activity, goto Relationship tab.. under Predecessor section, click the "Assign" button. The Assign Predecessors window opens up. After this move the cursor back to your original P6 window and select all the activities whose predecessors are to be deleted. Upon doing that, return to the "Assign Predecessors" window and press Ctrl+A. This will select all the activities in "Assign Predecessors" window. Click the Remove Button (there is a small red button on the right hand side of the "Assign Predecessor" window).

Repeat the same steps using "Assign Successors" window. You have now deleted all the relationships linked to the required activities.

Johan Thomas
User offline. Last seen 13 years 23 weeks ago. Offline

Kumar,

Open the pert view, choose any one relation, press and hold CTRL key, use the mouse to select all (holding the left mouse button and scrolling across all) now all the relationship lines will get selected. Press delete. it will delete all

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 2 days 1 hour ago. Offline
A report is a fixed document, there you cannot make changes, is no substitute to a filter. Missing a filter for links where you can select the filtered and delete the links, not the activities, with a single click or where you can make changes such as changing lag calendar or lag amount at a single click, a very common need is an ABOMINABLE MISS. No excuse when the data is already on the database.

For many years users of Primavera products have been asking for a direct way to filter for links, I know as for many years I was a P3/SureTrak user. Primavera never delivered, I was hoping ORACLE/Primavera P6 would.
Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 17 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
Rafael,
If you read carefully my post previously how many time I’m going to say that P6 don’t have same functionalities as Spider Project. It is possible using report or Activity Detail but not Activity Window. If planner are use to read the log created as I do when running scheduling and levelling they will know all out-of-requence activities on the report, constrained, un satifying link, critical etc....
Rafael Davila
Rodel,

Tracing logic as to explore all links is impractical, the question is very simple same as you can filter for activities based on a selection rule you specify how within P6 you can filter for relationships based on a selection rule you specify?

Is a very simple question, I am not looking for other awkward and impractical ways. Missing links filters would be as insane as missing activities filters.

Best Regards,
Rafael
Rodel Marasigan
Rafael,
P6 don’t have the same format as Spider Project but it simple enough to trace logic using trace logic functions. It will tell you driving, non-driving, lag, float, duration in diagram format but filtered by selected activities showing CPM forward or backward. If you click another activity within the network it will automatically change the filtering base on new activity selected. It almost the same as Network diagram but limited to selected activities. You can specify number of predecessor or successor to limit visibility in the screen. If Activity is filtered on specific relationship using trace logic is give you what you filter for same as for out-of-sequence you can trace original logic compared to actual progress logic.
Rafael Davila
Rodel,

We are not looking to filter for predecessors or successors; I believe all software (even the worst of all) can do this as filtering for activities is among the most basic needs. What you mention seems like a filter for activities, we are looking to filter relationships to get a listing on relationships not a listing of activities; this is also a very basic need I have seen questioned at PP many times. How it is done within P6?

What differentiates Gantt chart to CPM are relationships, therefore filtering by relationships and being able to see in a concise manner all fields that define a relationship is crucial, same as activities. It is not a re-invention of the wheel, no adittional functionality, the data is already there, it is more about good and practical interface design. How can you filter for relationships, not activities, that have a calendar different to their successors and predecessors, how you filter relationships that are out-of-sequence, how you filter relationships, how?

You can determine out-of-sequence visually when connected activities are close otherwise not, in a thousands of activities job this might be unpractical. Actual dates lower than planned dates under resource leveling does not imply there is out of sequence occurrence, this is very common under resource leveling when you catch up using overtime or it just happened without breaking the rules of logic.

One of the issues with displaying relationship lines is that in complex jobs they are impossible to follow. I always keep the display of relationships lines toggled off except for very simple jobs I use as sample jobs but not for real life jobs, not even for my very small jobs of about 700 activities, in a few thousands activities job with an amount of links of about six times the activity count it got to be quite a mess.

It is impractical to select each link, one by one, in order to display a window that will tell me about the lag calendar, about if the link is out-of-sequence, about if driving or not, about the successors and predecessor to make sure I clicked on the right link when activities are far away on the display.

We are looking for relationship delete not for activities delete.

Best Regards,
Rafael
Rodel Marasigan
Hi Rafael,
P6 has a capability of filtering predecessor or successor base on given criteria except for lag durations showing on the Activity window is not possible but available on Activity Window detail and reports with or with out filter. It is also easy to trace using trace window functioned. For out of sequence activity it is very easy to identify visually or by the use of filter. Out of sequence will show a big gap from the actual start up to data date to remaining durations. You can filter all actual dates lower than planned date.

Best Regards,
Rodel
Satya Narayana
User offline. Last seen 10 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
We can select the mutliple relations on the activity networ by holding the control key, but thetrick is do not select the relation ship arrow with mouse but select it by dragging the mouse across the arrow.

Hope this helps you...
Rafael Davila
An activity might have several predecessors and successors links, how do you filter for links on P6 as to delete only links you want to filter and delete?

Can you filter links by links calendar like for example links with calendar set to be calendar days while predecessors and successors calendars are different, not calendar days but other work days definition?

Can you filter links by lag? How?

Can you filter for out-of-sequence links? How?

This is an easy task in other software like the one I use but have no idea how it is done in P6. Clicking links on a Gantt view when links span several pages or several screens is kind of unhealthy. Got to be done at a links table where you can see all fields related to links and filter and delete with ease.

LF 01

Filtering for links is very useful not only for deletion but especially when you are making use of so called soft links and you want to toggle on and off a few of these. Of course filtering for lag is also quite important, same for out-of-sequence.

Best Regards,
Rafael
Rodel Marasigan
Muhammad,
My apology, you are correct. There are some instance that it can highlight multiple relationship but not for all. Once mouse drag line cross the correct node it allow you to highlight multiple activities. Alternative is to use SDK. If you have MS ACCESS and linked SDK you can open TASKPRED table and filter to project ID. You can delete all records for relationship on the filter project.
muhammad anwar
User offline. Last seen 4 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Rodel,

I does not allow you to highlight more than one relationship, even using ’CTRL’ or ’Shift’ keys. I think more than one relationship is not possible to select in P6. Rodel, please give it a try first and then elaborate if that works. I believe excel is the only cure for ’Unlink’ disease so far. I may be wrong.

regards

Muhammad
kumar s
Sir,
in network box when i am selecting the boxes for which the relationships have to be deleted and if i press delete then the message of activities itself getting deleted is appearing.
why is this happening..
please clear...
Rodel Marasigan
muhammad,
Don’t highlight the Activity just the link or relationship and press delete.
muhammad anwar
Rodel,

Wouldn’t it it asks to delete the activities rather than relationships?????????

regards

muhammad
Rodel Marasigan
Kumar,
Activity network icon is place together with Activity Detail, Activity Usage Spreadsheet, etc... on the top below Primavera text menu.

Once click all network diagram will be shown on selected WBS or if required all click the project root wbs then highlight all box by dragging the mouse while pressing left button until all box are covered by hidden line box created by mouse.
kumar s
Dear Guys,

still i am not able to delete the relationships...
can you help...
kumar s
Dear Sir,
i tried but not getting it.

ACTIVITY network icon means means the relationship icon.
i dint get the network box option.
Rodel Marasigan
Kumar,
Click Activity Network icon then highlight all network box then press delete. This will allow you to delete all relationship in one go.
muhammad anwar
Kumar,

No such facility is provided in P6 except exporting to excel
and then importing back.

regards

Muhammad