Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Job services advantage

7 replies [Last post]
Haresh Jayanth
User offline. Last seen 6 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
In most of P6 books Job services topic is not covered. From our help menu it is written that it is used to run any number of jobs on multiple projects/EPS nodes at a specified time, it gives when my last run and when is the next run datas……etc….
But from the above, I am not able to get the exact advantages of using job services and what it does to our schedule…..

Replies

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 11 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Haresh,
Try this and it may help.
1) Run Database Configuration: (by default)
Select Start-> Primavera-> Help & Utilities-> Database configurations
A Database Configuration Dialog box will pop-up then click Next. Tick "configure my database Connection" then click Next. Select JSMB Database then Next...until reaching “Configure SQL Server Connection” and enter Database Name “PMDB” (default) then click Next. Enter User Name and Password. Use pubuser (for both user name & password) then click Next until the Dialog says "Connection Successful!" then click Finish.
2) Press Ctrl+Atl+del and click Task Manager. Click the Processes tab and locate prmJobSvJSDB.exe. If not found then click Start-> Settings-> Control Panel-> Administrative Tools-> Services and locate for Primavera Job Service (JSDB) and double click. Change the start up type to Automatic and click start
3) Run Job Services in Primavera on the current time and test if it will run a job. (any job that you wanted to produce). It Job Services run and produced the job that you created then it should run next on the specified time and settings.

Best Regards,
Rodel
Haresh Jayanth
Dear Rodel,

I have checked both the possibilities as stated by you...By computer is on as well as status is enable , still the job service report are not generated , any other specific reasons??

regards,

Haresh
Rodel Marasigan
Haresh,
Two possible reasons:
1) Is your computer open before 9:00 AM?
2) Did you turn the Status to Enable?
Haresh Jayanth
Dear Rodel,

Every time for viewing - job service , i have to open Control Panel-> Administrative Tool-> Services???

Why Cant the job services , i am doing , cant be save in the folder which i am giving it.

For example i have assigned a Job services export and given the timing 9:00 am every day and also specified the folder. But i am not get the report.

What would be the reason??
Rodel Marasigan
Haresh,
It depends on where the Job Services is installed. The normal process is to install Job Services in the server where the Primavera database resides then it will automatically run at set time even Primavera client is not open. If standalone and job services are running at the background then it does not require Primavera client to be open. To check if job services is running at the background click Start-> Control Panel-> Administrative Tool-> Services. Look for Primavera Job Service and check if status is Started or use Task Manager and locate the image name prmJobSv???? if its there. “????” stand for database where the default is JSDB.
Haresh Jayanth
May be a silly question about Job Services.....
For Job services to be activated at set time, we have to open P6 that set time to get activated??? Is it correct……
Rodel Marasigan
Job services are used to automate batch reports, schedule, apply actual, export and summarize. If this was set properly and with correct timing planner are not to worry if those mention are run even he is not around during set time and have an option to run repeatedly every week or any period of time set.