Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Primavera V4.1 - Job Services

3 replies [Last post]
Brian Cameron
User offline. Last seen 15 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Can someone confirm my suspicions about running a job service in V4.1

I have been trying to run a job service batch report and although I can enter the information nothing happens, except last run status "No printers availible" and the job queue showing that it did run!!

The report will batch run manually, I now want to automate it.

Do I need to have a "Job Service" module installed to allow this?

Also will this allow me to print at any location rather than at a designated server/printer or would this require my PC to be running over night if that is the time I select for the job to run?

From what I have read in the forum this could also let me run exports after hours, which I tried to set up, but this also failed, is this correct?

Brian.

Replies

Barrie Callender
User offline. Last seen 1 year 10 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Brian,

If you are working on the same database as that machine on the other site, then that machine could be made to run your jobs. If your IT people can map a drive on the other machine to somewhere that you have access, then you can submit a job that uses the mapped drive as a destination. Alternatively the IT people can give you access to a directory on the server machine.

Brian Cameron
User offline. Last seen 15 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Barrie

I have installed the Job Services module and I downloaded the administrators manual to see if there was anything of use in that, regarding configuring the job services.
From what I can see I will have to get our IT people to create a user group "prmjob admins" and find out if when the original installations were done on individual PC’s if one of them was set up as the "controller". There is one of our PC’s in another site running a summerize process nightly, I’m thinking they haven’t set up the job services as a distributed service. What I would like to do is automate my batch printing and possibly a local back-up of my projects, rather than the server back up, the way the server back-up has been set up if a back-up was required it replaces all of the data in all projects, I would like to have my own insurance!

Brian.
Barrie Callender
User offline. Last seen 1 year 10 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Brian,

You need to have the Job Services module installed - usually on another piece of kit. When you create a Job in the Project manager tool it stores the information in the database. the Job Services module reads the information from the database and runs the job when you have asked it to do so.

Since the Job Services module is on the other machine, all the parameters, printers etc must be accessible from the user that is running the Job Services.

Assuming this is now the future and Job Services has been installed, you can submit jobs from your desktop pc, then switch it off, unplug it and throw it out of the window (not a recommendation!) and the job will be executed by the Job Services module on the other machine.

Hope this helps.