Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Resource usage spreadsheet

18 replies [Last post]
Glenn Douglas
User offline. Last seen 2 years 1 week ago. Offline
Is there an easy way to copy the Resource Usage Spreadsheet so it can be pasted into Excel?

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 17 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

open the project

select Projects

then Resource Assignments

select your resource on the left 

roll up your resource 

on the right select what ever time scale you want months, weeks etc.

on the right click on the first month and the summary number press shift and control hold it down scroll to the right until you get to the last month or week with any data in it and highlight that data (STILL HOLD SHIFT AND CONTROL)

then select edit and copy 

now paste into excel 

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 17 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

open the project

select Projects

then Resource Assignments

select your resource on the left 

roll up your resource 

on the right select what ever time scale you want months, weeks etc.

on the right click on the first month and the summary number press shift and control hold it down scroll to the right until you get to the last month or week with any data in it and highlight that data (STILL HOLD SHIFT AND CONTROL)

then select edit and copy 

now paste into excel 

Mohammed Khan
User offline. Last seen 4 years 21 weeks ago. Offline

Dear All,

Please I need to Extract Resources ( Manpower & Equipment ) Milestone wise can any one help me with step by step procedure.

Thanks

Khan

hanh vo
User offline. Last seen 13 years 17 weeks ago. Offline

Dear all.

How we can creat Global Change with colum name 1 week look ahead but value in this colum we get from data Resour Usage Spreadsheet ?

hanh vo
User offline. Last seen 13 years 17 weeks ago. Offline

Dear all.

How we can creat Global Change with colum name 1 week look ahead but value in this colum we get from data Resour Usage Spreadsheet ?

Salman Ahmed
User offline. Last seen 14 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Referign to Mr.David’s below reply,

Can you please post a step wise procedure to produce a tabular report using report wizard & export the same to excel.

Thanks in advance.

Team,

Can’t tell you how much I disagree.

The way to get the Resource Usage Spreadsheet into excel is to use the tabular report wizard to make an identical report, and use it’s facility to dump straight to excel. This means NO copy paste errors, and you have effectively a cataloged pivot table script to send the same data to excel every week with one keystroke. Or maybe you never make a mistake with the mouse?
Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 8 weeks 21 hours ago. Offline
Yes I can, I havent try daily, but spread by week, month and years are the one I always used comparing both baseline and current project on a timely basis. Levelled resources using external is the one I also havent tried. I can automatically update resource budget, actual, remaining and progress.
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Rodel,

Do you mean you can do this automatically - Resource usage comparison between baseline and current project, showing early and late (for both), and levelled resources, on a timely basis (including daily distribution)?

Best regards
Rodel Marasigan
David,

Others may say it correct and others may say it difficult specially if they are not familiar on how to set tabular report, selecting columns and fields to show, selecting the spread range, group & sorting and filtering of what data to select. An advance user like you or me which know how to customize the report even without the used of the wizard then I will definitely agree with you because once it was created properly according to required data and suit to the report required. It can also run every week without pressing any button and by the used of job services it will run automatic on the set time period required and automatically email it to the recipients.

But for the beginners, defends on their perceptions and capability.
David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 1 year 51 weeks ago. Offline
Rodel,

You are correct that there are many ways. We have our own API excel utility which works at least an order of magnitude faster than the SDK and does not have all those awful restictions that the SDK has. Very "techie", very powerful.

But my concern is that the "entry level" way of doing it is error free. We have dozens of clients producing their "s" curves using Excel. Universally they like the pivot-to-excel route because it is the fewest keystrokes and offers the operator the fewest opportunities to make a mistake. I don’t think copy paste is easiest. I think going to the company’s cataloged proceedures where it says "Run tabular report ’monthly resource requirements histogram pivot’ " is easiest.
Rodel Marasigan
Hi David,

You mentioned only one of the ways to get the report but there is a lot of ways even without opening Primavera itself. I used excel SDK which is much faster, complete and error free. I can have it by WBS, Account code, Activity code and even by resource code or resource without any hassle and just a press of a button even Primavera is not opened. It can be spread by weeks, months or year and produce S-Curve at the same time.

The method I posted is the most basic procedure (copy & paste) which can be done easily by every one. To mentioned the some of the other ways are by using ODBC, database, SQL and other external software interfaced with Primavera.
David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 1 year 51 weeks ago. Offline
Team,

Can’t tell you how much I disagree.

The way to get the Resource Usage Spreadsheet into excel is to use the tabular report wizard to make an identical report, and use it’s facility to dump straight to excel. This means NO copy paste errors, and you have effectively a cataloged pivot table script to send the same data to excel every week with one keystroke. Or maybe you never make a mistake with the mouse?
Rodel Marasigan
Glenn,

As Ferdinand say, it is just highlight, copy and paste from P6 to excel spreadsheet. You might be on the wrong module that is why it is not working.

Here are the simple steps:

1) Click the assignment icon on the left or select Project -> Resource Assignment on the menu.
2) Select View and make sure Resource Usage Spreadsheet is tick.
3) Organise (Sort & Group) the way you want to copy it on the spreadsheet.
4) Highlight all by pressing Ctrl+A then press Ctrl+C to copy.
5) Open your excel and on place the cursor to 1st cell or any where on the spreadsheet where ever you want to place the data then press Ctrl+V to paste.

It should copy and paste the data that you have on P6 to Excel
Glenn Douglas
Ferninand,
I’ll have a look at that in the morning. (failing that create a report)

I was hoping that I was missing something obvious. It would have been nice to simply highlight the spreadsheet, copy and then paste into excel as you can with the main activities view. It was only so that other people who don’t have P6 on their PC’s could check the usage allocation.

cheers
Ferdinand U.
User offline. Last seen 6 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
hi

try resource assignment from directory view

open layout activity resource assignment

you can copy this to excel now
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
As you know, excel has limited number of columns, so if you want to see the distribution in days, and your total duration exceeds 250 days, you might not see the rest.
Glenn Douglas
Hi Gary,

I’m using P6.2.1
Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 5 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Glenn,

Which software?