Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

What does this Mean? (Unsatisfied constraints / Relati

5 replies [Last post]
Rob Kane
User offline. Last seen 3 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi,

I have just run a Scheduling/Leveling Report & the Scedule log has provided me with 2 exceptions as per usual these are not found in the primavera help & I cannot find POINT anymore!

The exceptions are:

Activities with unsatisfied constraints? 2 (These seem to be both Mandatory start dates, I have others in the network, but it only seems to be unhappy with 2 of them ? These are all closures, none have any relationships, they all have 7 day calendars) - what is this telling me?

Activities with unsatisfied relationships? 0 - I have 10 activities which are out of sequence in the network (I am on retained logic) but dont think this is what it is unhappy with ! any ideas?

Thanks in advance
Rob

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 day 14 hours ago. Offline
.... "Also if you have a constraint date of February 15, 2010 but due to the lack of progress and the logic the date for this activity is calculated to be later than February 15, 2010. This is also a unsatisfied constraint date"

Seems like Zoltan hit the nail on the head, "as projected will not be met".
Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 14 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
If your run a claim digger report you will see a reference to unsatisfied constraints (if any exist). This only happens on activities where the date that you have stipulated as a constraint can not be meet. This can be due to the lack of progress or as stated before the constraint date is earlier in time than the data date. If this is the case then you need to change the constraint date or if it has been completed apply the actual start and or finish dates

If you have a constraint date of November 15, 2009 and your data date is January 1, 2010. The constraint date can not be satisfied.

Also if you have a constraint date of February 15, 2010 but due to the lack of progress and the logic the date for this activity is calculated to be later than February 15, 2010. This is also a unsatisfied constraint date

Rafael Davila
Rob

Does the report specify the unsatisfied constraints activities? Remember the report not only warns about last update period but also warns about other prior periods, if any prior constrained date activity was updated before with a date after the constraint it still will show.

About correcting out-of-sequence logic, easier said than done, at home usually we do not resolve out-of-sequence when progress override option is a better approximation on logic than the infamous retained logic option many do favor.

Best regards,
Rafael
Rob Kane
User offline. Last seen 3 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Rafael,

Thanks for the reply.

On the Activities with the "Unsatisfied constraints" my initial thoughts were on the same lines as yours but the prject data date is 18/10/09 and the constraints in question are 08/01/10 & 02/02/10 both are unprogressed. So not sure what it is telling me!

On the Activities with the "Unsatisfied relationships" I also schedule on retained logic. I did re-schedule on progress overide & interestinlgy did get a different result
0 on retained logic & 7 on progress overide.

I have got 22 activities that are out of sequence so I am assuming that 7 of the 22 are causing a delay to a successor somewhere down the line. So that bit does seem to make sense.

Rob

Rafael Davila
Rob,

Activities with unsatisfied constraints? 2 , none have any relationships ==>> most probably constraint date was earlier than DD and you did not actualized those two activities, the updating moved them to the DD.

Activities with unsatisfied relationships? 0, I am on retained logic ==>> retained logic does not allow unsatisfied relationship to happen, if you switch to progress override, out-of-sequence will happen and unsatisfied relationships will also happen.

Remember neither retained logic nor progress override solve the issue on out-of-sequence, you still got to solve the logic issue. The way I schedule my jobs this is usually fixed with a change in lag durations, as they are somewhat arbitrary, just you planned to wait some time and then you change your mind. This is difficult to swallow for those who insist scheduling is an exact science and the problem is on your use of lag.

This from my experience using other software.

Best regards,
Rafael