Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Import & Export

9 replies [Last post]
Arun Vasanth
User offline. Last seen 5 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Qatar
Dear friends
Now I hear with the topic import & export to excel in P6.
In primavera it was very easy ..Only selected activities we can export to excel & return back after workouts.
In the case of P6
1.At the time of exporting all activities are exporting ....
2. Two sheets are comming while exporting /

Is there any way to export the activities same like P3
for eg Block work & Plaster activities only

With regards
Arun.V

Replies

MK TSE
User offline. Last seen 4 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
can select "Activity detail" and "relationship" at the same time. if both option checked, the template will be served for both
Arun Vasanth
Thnxs Mycal

It was wounderfulllll

With regards
Arun.V
Arnold Puy
User offline. Last seen 9 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Arun,

As I mentioned in my previous post step #1 is only limited. Proceed to step #2.

Go to File Menu --> Export --> Spreadsheet - (XLS), in Export Type, select Activity Relationship, then add a new Template, you can see the Predecessor and Successor Activity Name.

Regards,

Arnold
Arun Vasanth
Hai Arnold
Still Iam facing the same problem .While exporting instead of predessor name I can see only predessor & Successor ID which is really confusing for me ....

Please help Arnold .
With regards
’Arun.V
Arnold Puy
User offline. Last seen 9 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Arun,

There are several ways on how to export or modify your works in Excel.

1. In Activity Window you can simply right click anywhere in the activity table area and select "Export to Excel"
2. In the File Menu --> Export.
3. By using the Primavera utilities (e.g. Dictionary6x.xls, Activity6x.xls, Project6.xls, etc..) with the help of SDK.
4. Copy & Paste to Excel.

The #1 functionality is limited, easy and only available in the Activities Window.

In your case, you can use the #1 however, it is depend in your needs. Display all the required Columns (i.e. Activity ID, Activity Name, Original Duration, etc…) and create a new filter using the below parameters.

(Any of the following)
Where: Activity Name "contains" or "starts with" block
Or: Activity Name "contains" or "starts with" plaster

When done, you can now proceed to step #1. Otherwise, you can go for step #2 and then import it back to P6 by selecting File --> Menu --> Import.

Regards,

Arnold
Neal Walsh
User offline. Last seen 3 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
Nope, no need to export Arun....

BUT.....importing INTO P6 is slightly different, and can be somewhat awkward....

What I have done in the past is to export from P6 into Excel, purely to give me the layout and the specific formatting that Primavera understands. For example, once exported into Excel, you will notice the headings:

task_code status_code wbs_id wbs_name task_name end_date start_date delete_record_flag

Also note that each of the Cells contain ’ prior to the info. Have a play around with this, pasting the correct info into the columns with the headings as described above.

I also believe there may be an easier (and less time consuming) way of doing the import with the SDK tools. I’m pretty sure Arnie mentioned something about it a while back so maybe he can chip in and shed some light on the matter. But for now, try the above method, I have definitely got it to work before, and as I said...it can be a bit touch and go.

Good luck

walshy
MK TSE
User offline. Last seen 4 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
On export wizard, when screen for item selection prompt, there are 3 tab pages on this window, one is item selection, one for filter and one for sorting order. Input your selection criteria on Filter page
Arun Vasanth
Thnxs Washly

No need to export ???? hw we will import to P6??

With regards
Arun.V
Neal Walsh
User offline. Last seen 3 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
Arun,

I think this is what you’re after, and It’s very easy, just run a filter on the activities you want to keep, then highlight them and copy.......open Excel and paste, you can remove anything you don’t want later.

Walshy