Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Primavera online knowledgebase gone

17 replies [Last post]
Dan Cam
User offline. Last seen 13 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
It seems that due to the aquisition of Primavera by Oracle, the Primavera knowledgebase can’t be accessed anymore.
Anybody any idea if it is still available ??
And if yes, where ?
Thx !

Replies

Roger Booth
User offline. Last seen 4 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Re post #15 John Lawson

Yes I have actually managed to get a call back from the Oracle masters. I upgraded to v7 from 6.1 SP2 but had issues with the sql database upgrade. Got an initial call and I asked them to call back when another more IT literate person was around. Sure enough, Oracle called back on time and sorted the issue out (was something to do with sql permissions) within 5 minutes. I was very sceptical about the whole Oracle thing, but it has worked for me and hopefully will work again in the future.
David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 2 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
Tamara,

Like yourself I count the time I have been doing this job in decades rather than years. I know pretty much everything about P6 (false modesty is not one of my many vices) the same is true of P3, and I helped with the beta testing of Open Plan back in 1980 something...

In my not-very humble opinion

P3 is a great planning system.
P6 is a great project management environment.

Niether product is best-of-breed for the other job. If you are a planner working on one project for one client and have no requirement for the enterprise level tricks of P6 then you will be dissapointed that P6 is NOT an upgrade to P3.

Owners rather than contractors love the enterprise capabilities, so I expect in a world driven by the owner’s choice of software you are going to have to get used to it!

If you were in a position to chose which PLANNING software to use based only on the merits of the software (yes, I know that is a total fantasy) I expect you would be evaluating Spider’s fabulous arithmetic, and Safran’s georgeous graphics.
Tamara Sutton
User offline. Last seen 8 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
Vlad, I think it’s PM that is trying to be all things to all people, not P3. The difference between 64 bit P3 and 32 bit P3? Eh, maybe it would be insignificant. I’ll take a fully Windows compatible 32 bit P3 clone instead.

John, we finally got access to the KB. Just glad to be able to search for an issue and find out correcting it is an existing enhancement request.

I’d love to look seriously at other software solutions, but we are generally bound to the software specified by our Clients. If they want us to use P3, PM v5-7 or MSP, we do so, happily. We’ve not seen any of the other software spec’d here in the US to date, but if our Owners begin making a switch, we will be glad to support their choice.
John Lawson
User offline. Last seen 11 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,

Regarding the demise of the Primavera online knowledgebase.

Has anyone had any success in getting support from out new masters Oracle Primavera or are they like me stuck in the mire of the Oracle Webb site.

(Note: We pay maintenance for this privledge and are now looking at Asta).

Regards

John L.
Tamara,
I think that P3 tried to be all things to all users. And I am not sure that this package can do everything that may be needed in your projects.

Did you create the list of your own requirements?

Does it make any difference if product is 64 bit or 32 bit if it does everything that you want?

Requirements shall cover functional features that may be realised different ways.

If you will post your list here at Planning Planet you will get the replies at least about Spider Project, Asta Power Project, MicroPlanner X-Pert packages. Maybe others will join.
Maybe we will discuss some features that were missed in your list.
In any case it may be useful.

Best Regards,
Vladimir
Tamara Sutton
Vladimir, why on earth would I look for a P6 clone? What I need is a product that does not try to be all things to all users. Now, if someone were to build a 64 bit P3 clone, that I’d be interested in.
Tamara,
people look at other products when they are not happy with the product they use. Usually when they cannot find necessary functionality.
The usual problem - people adjust their project management systems to the capabilities of the software they use instead of finding the software that satisfies the requirements of their PM system.
Selecting other software is the best point for rebuilding PM system. We usually suggest to think about the perfect PM system that may be created, create a list of requirements to the software functional features that are necessary for this system, and only then estimate the software packages.
Looking at other packages estimating how they do the same jobs as the software that you currently use you will not find the advantages.
Do you know what set of the software features are necessary to have, are nice to have, etc.? I hope that you do not look for P6 clone.

Best Regards,
Vladimir
Tamara Sutton
For most construction projects Project is not a good choice, which should tell you just how frustrated I am with the whole Oracle experience thus far. And I’m a stockholder!

Many of our contract specifications require scheduling software ’compatible’ with Primavera (P3/6/6 version 7, whatever.) There is an interface to a product the owner has developed that requires very specific coding structures in particular. It keeps us from making wholesale enterprise changes.

I’ve been in the biz many years, and I’ve seen many products come and go. Some of them were quite good. But being good isn’t good enough.

We’re looking at a product still in the early development phases. In two or three years, it may be a viable alternative. In the past I’ve also looked briefly at other products. It’s looking more and more like the time has come to investigate what else is available.
Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 21 weeks ago. Offline
I was very impressed with Spider whar Vladimir showed me the software but unfortunately I have not had the opportunity to use it myself.

I would also encourage you to look at Spider as well.

Paul E Harris
Eastwood Harris Pty Ltd, Melbourne, Australia
Planning and Scheduling Training Manual & Book Publishers, Consulting and Training
www.eh.com.au
www.primavera.com.au - a Primavera scheduling software resources site
Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 3 days 6 hours ago. Offline
Tamara,

I tried Asta Power Project and found it better than P6, but not better than P3, the support by the company is superb, I also tried Spider Project and believe it as an edge, a very big edge.

The best way for you to decide is by trying both and giving them a real opportunity. I already made my choice, for me Spider Project is a better solution.

If you do high level scheduling you already must be aware most scheduling software under resource leveling yields the wrong float, they show float for resource critical activities that if delayed will end up delaying the job because of limited resource availability.

You also already must know that many construction project managers look at the CPM output for available float and manage their jobs using this information, if wrong most probably their choices will be wrong. I believe these companies that hide the truth should be legally liable for knowingly misleading the user. Are you willing to continue providing your customers with the wrong float computation?

Only Spider Project provides you with true resource critical float.

In addition you should compare resource leveling algorithms, most software offer substandard algorithms that look for a workable solution but not the “Best”. The “Best” might be based on priorities, might be an “optimal solution” or might be something in between. Only spider Project provides you with several options for you to decide. If you decide to try Spider Project t you should explore the optimization option that automatically searches for an optimal solution without having to trick the software by looking for a combination of priorities that will yield a better result. Again the best way is by accepting the challenge.

The last year it has been a struggle for me in my search for a P3/SureTrak substitute, with Spider Project I got a very pleasant surprise, they have a high end version that support Portfolio Management and also a lower cost version that keeps 99% the functionality of their high end product, a true scalable alternative. If you know P6 you already must know Primavera Contractor is so stripped down it is a joke, nobody here even talk about it.

Spider Project can import Primavera and MS Project files in case you are in need to do so.

Best regards,
Rafael
Hi Paul,
I am curious if you tried Spider Project.
It is universal tool but most Russian construction companies use it for various construction projects.
Best Regards,
Vladimir
Paul Harris
Oracle Primavera provide an email address on their letter. I was unable to make their links work but they responeded very quickly to an email.

There are many planning packages on the market but MSP and P6 were both designed for the software industries and this makes then hard to use in building and construction in my opinion. I have been using Asta Powerproject recently and I think it has twice the flexibility and is half the cost of P6.

Paul E Harris
Planning and Scheduling Training Manual & Book Publishers, Consulting and Training
www.eh.com.au
www.primavera.com.au - a Primavera scheduling software resources site
Tamara,
if your projects are large then MS Project is not a solution.
Best Regards,
Vladimir
Tamara Sutton
I tried to get in using the information from the letter(s) I received, to no avail. We’re paid up with our maintenance, and I can’t get to the kb!

What a painful transition to Oracle Systems this whole thing has been. They’re a huge organization, and they know it. It may be the beginning of the end for us. Or, maybe it’s the middle of the end. I’m not sure.

This whole fiasco is making MSP look like a viable alternative.
Paul Harris
This is the email I received from Oracle:

Dear Oracle Primavera Customer,

Please note that we have postponed the move of Oracle’s Primavera customers to the Oracle Support systems. The new cutover is planned to begin on Monday, November 23, 2009. We apologize for any inconvenience that this causes. Until this date, please continue to use the Primavera Support systems that you use today.

As a reminder, please note the following steps that you will need to take prior to the move to the Oracle Support systems on Monday, November 23, 2009.

Pre-registration on My Oracle Support
We encourage you to pre-register on My Oracle Support https://support.oracle.com/CSP/ui/flash.html by Friday, November 20, 2009, since My Oracle Support will be the primary mechanism for you to obtain support for Oracle’s Primavera products on or around Monday, November 23, 2009.

The first person that uses the Support Identifier to register on My Oracle Support will be asked if they will assume the Customer User Administrator (CUA) role, which is available under the User Administrator functionality. The person who accepts this responsibility will need to approve registration requests from others within the same company for access to My Oracle Support and will control individual user privileges for employees within the same company, including granting access and assigning privileges for additional CUAs. Without a CUA, employees will not be able to gain access to My Oracle Support. It is very important that multiple users of the same Support Identifier within the same company discuss how to administer access to My Oracle Support. You can easily change the assignment of the CUA later, but having someone in that role allows your whole company to pre-register.

If you are already using My Oracle Support, you do not need to re-register, simply add your new Support Identifier to your user profile.

Support Identifier Information
Your Support Identifier reflects the level of support you are entitled to for your Primavera products. You will use your Support Identifier to log a service request for any of your products whether that is online via My Oracle Support, or by telephone. Your Support Identifier was sent to you via email the week of October 26, 2009. If you did not receive your Support Identifier or misplaced it, please contact us.

Training for My Oracle Support
We invite you to attend the “Getting Started with My Oracle Support” web seminars during November.

It is extremely important that you attend one of the training sessions before November 23, 2009. The training sessions will explain:

How to register on My Oracle Support
The role of the Customer User Administrator
New terminology including severity level definitions, and
The processes to contact Oracle Customer Support, create service requests, and use the portal efficiently
You are invited to take the training as many times as you wish. Click here to view the training schedule.

Additional Questions
We are eager to assist you with these changes in any way possible. Please email any questions to primavera-info_ww@oracle.com.

Regards,
Oracle Global Customer Support

If you feel that you have received this email in error and are not a current Oracle Primavera Support user, please send an e-mail to primavera-info_ww@oracle.com with "REMOVE" in the subject line.

Paul E Harris
www.eh.com.au
www.primavera.com.au - an Oracle Primavera scheduling software resources web site

Dan Cam
User offline. Last seen 13 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
Thx Arnold !
Only,
After registering, an Oracle product identification is asked.
Tried with the serial number which i used to enter the Primavera knowledgebase, but that doesn’t work .
Seems it will end here ...
A real pitty because i learned a lot from the knowledgebase :-((

Arnold Puy
User offline. Last seen 9 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Dan,

Primavera Online Interaction (POINT) or Primavera knowledgebase is no longer existing. This is the new site for Oracle-Primavera support.

http://support.oracle.com
https://supporthtml.oracle.com/ep/faces/index.jspx

Regards,

Arnold