Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Expense % Complete = Activity % Complete ?

3 replies [Last post]
Mohammed Wasiuddin
User offline. Last seen 8 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Qatar
Dear superiors
Could anyone suggest me in deatail regarding,in P6/6.2 how can i equal the Expenses % comp. = Activity % comp.
I tried with global change from the subject select area of Project Expenses but it won’t work(i meant to say there is no parameter/value ragarding Activity % complete in the project expenses).
Thanking you.

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 20 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

create a UDF

then make the UDF % complete equal the expenses % complete

then make the UDF % compelte equal the activity % Complete

Andrew Taylor
User offline. Last seen 3 years 51 weeks ago. Offline

To add to Mark's workaround:

As far as I know, you can't import [Expense % Complete] from Excel to P6. You can however import [Actual Cost].

If you want to match your [Expense % Complete] to your existing [Activity % Complete] you can:

1. Export both data sets to Excel (Activities AND Expenses);
  2. Use a vlookup to change all [Expense % Complete] values to the [Activity % Complete] value;
  3. Recalculate the [Actual Cost] value using [Expense % Complete] /100 x [Budgeted Cost];
  4. Import the new Expense data to P6.

Now, P6 will calculate the [Expense % Complete] using [Actual Cost] / [Budgeted Cost].

(If this isn't clear let me know and I'll add detail to the steps).

Cheers

Andrew.

Mark Porter
User offline. Last seen 27 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Hi Mohammed,

As you will possible be aware, a planner is able to associate multiple expenses to an activity & therefore this is the reason that you cannot use a global change to assign the Expense % complete as the activity % complete. (i.e. Expenses are the children to activities, just like resources are children as well)

To achieve what you are asking, a work around is to export the activity data out to excel with both the expense cost % complete & the activity % complete columns showing, then copy the Expense cost % complete column across to the activity % complete column & re-import back into Primavera.

Hope this helps

Kind Regards

Mark Porter