Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

PM6 Calculating Multi-projects total float problem

20 replies [Last post]
Zhang Haixiang
User offline. Last seen 3 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi,

I have a problem, hope someone can help me

I have 2 project in PM6, they have same data date,calender...

activity1 in Project A, has a constraints - finish on or after.
activity2 in project B, has a constraints - as late as possible, it’s successor is activity1 FS+0

what i expect is after F9, activity2 will move and finish just before activity1 start.

then after F9 all the dates are correct,but the total float for activity2 is negative. i think it should be same as activity1.

can anyone explain how to solve the problem,thanks

Replies

in2world g
User offline. Last seen 12 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
I will try to answer Haixiang’s question.

If you set your Schedule B’s Project Must Finish By Date to December 2999, the negative float should be gone.

I try to guess why it happens:
If you leave Project Must Finish By Date blank, P6 will use Datadate+Total Project Duration as the Project Finish date to back path calculate the Late Finish Date for each activity. Therefore, the Late Finish for activity2 is not driven by activity 1 since they belong to different project.

Please try and let me know.
Feng
Mohammad Irfan Ah...
User offline. Last seen 10 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Malaysia
For those still using P 6.0.

- Are you facing any problem?
- What are the problem or issue and how to rectify?

I have float calculation error when using P 6.0. When i originally developed the program it showed no negative float (it showed 0 day float)

I have export and import the same program into same database, it showed my project delayed for 2 months.

- I have checked the originally file, scheduling (F9) so many times, it still showed 0 day total float. But when export and import back into same database or different database it will showed negative 2 months total float (delay for 2 months)
Zhang Haixiang
Thanks Dieter, I’ll check
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Zhang Haixiang

You’re welcome.

I just remember that I had this issue some time ago. Data date seemed the same but due to some reason the time was different. Change of the data date either by "Fill Down" in the project’s view or by "Apply Actuals". It must be exactly the same date and time and you need one common start and one common finish for all projects.

Good luck!
Dieter
Zhang Haixiang
thanks Dieter
Dieter Wambach
Nestor

That’s what I’ve heard from Primavera. There won’t be a bug-fix for 6.1.

Our transfers from 6.0 to 6.1 then to 6.2 where without any problems. An update of the database is required.

Regards

Dieter

Nestor Principe
User offline. Last seen 13 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Dieter,

You said Oracle won’t support 6.1 any longer but what I know in Hong Kong we’re using 6.0. Indeed we’re doing tender for projects were it is specifically required to use 6.0.

Cheers,
Nestor
Dieter Wambach
Sorry I assumed that you work with the current version.

This setting is in 6.2

But as Oracle announced a while ago, they won’t support 6.1 any longer, it’s better to upgrade.

Regards
Dieter
Zhang Haixiang
to Dieter,

after F9--> Options

there are 2 tabs - general and advanced

on the General tab, the last 3 options are:
1 Define critical activities as
* total float less than or equal to __
* longest path

2 Compute total float as
finish float = late finish - early finish

3 Calendar for scheduling relationship lag
predecessor activity calender

------------------------------------------------
I can no find the option you mentioned, are we using the same software?

I’m using Primavera Project Management release 6.1 (Build #:00001210)

Zhang Haixiang
to Rashid Iqbal,

that’s exactly what i did.
Dieter Wambach
Zhang Haixiang

It’s among the Scheduling Options:
"F9" --> choose "Options" --> The third option/parameter if you’ll count from the bottom.

Regards
Dieter
Rashid Iqbal
User offline. Last seen 12 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Zhang,

What I know that if two projects are interlinked they will take the date which is finishing early and so will calculate the float from there.

Try to make a sample..Proj A and Proj B...one activity each..open them together and link the activties and play.

Regards
Rashid
Zhang Haixiang
to Dieter,
thanks for your reply.
I can not find the options you mentioned, where they are?

to Diego,

thanks for your reply
the two projects are using the same calender, i also thought this problem may caused by calender. so i copied project1 as project 2 and did the test.
Diego Henriquez
User offline. Last seen 13 years 1 day ago. Offline
They may be using different calendars, if the calendar is different, float will be different.
Another option is that the overall completion date of project 1 is different than the overall completion date of project 2, howvere, I still think the calendars are different.
Check these possibilities and let us know, so we can keep looking for options,

cheers
Dieter Wambach
Did you check your Scheduling options for "Calculate float based on end date of:"? Try with "opened projects" selected.

The following is out of Primavera Help:
"Calculate float based on end date of: Choose the method by which to calculate the float period:

Choose Each project: schedules external relationships on the backward pass using each project’s finish date for open-ended activities, including activities that have an external relationship.

Choose Opened projects: schedules external relationships on the backward pass using the latest finish date of all opened projects and external relationship dates to calculate late dates of activities. Float for open-ended activities is calculated using the latest finish date of all opened projects, allowing for more float than the Each project option. Each Project’s Scheduled Finish date field is calculated as the latest finish date of all opened projects."

Hope this helps
Dieter

Zhang Haixiang
no one knows?
Zhang Haixiang
actually, one project is for procurement,and the other project is all milestones with constraints date from construction contractor for equipment on-site date.
Nestor Principe
User offline. Last seen 13 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
2 projects same completion dates? Any constraint dates?

Cheers,
Zhang Haixiang
Help!
Sandy Matheson
User offline. Last seen 11 years 3 days ago. Offline
I have a similar problem. I have activities in 2 projects linked. Succeeding activity (simple FS relationship) shows correct total float between early & late but preceeding activity does not show this float. Preceeding activity does not have any constraints and I cannot work out why it does not have same float as successor. Any advice from anyone?