Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Resource Histrogram

2 replies [Last post]
Dave Turnbull
User offline. Last seen 8 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
When allocating resource on primavera the histrograms never seems to come out as a true reflection of the resource needed.

Example:

resource calendar is a 10 hour day with no breaks and there is 5 jobs planned all taking 2 hours and 2 men, therefore i plan to do the jobs one after another so on this day i require 2 men to carry out all the planned work. Primavera histrogram will show 2 men which is good.

However if 2 of these jobs had to be done at the same time, say between 08:00 and 10:00 for whatever reason i would therefore need 4 men on this day to complete the planned work. Granted 2 of them will not be needed after 10:00 and the other 2 will finish 2 hours before the end of the working day, but to complete the planned work at the planned times i need 4 men. Primavera still says i need 2 men, i think this is because of the calulation behind it, however this calulation does not take into account where the work is planned.

Am i missing something? Like i need to show histrogram in hours rather than days? as it seems to me this is a massive draw back to primavera if it cant even tell me the correct number of resource i require.

Replies

Karim Mahgob
User offline. Last seen 11 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
hey
Go to Edit- user prefrences-Resource analysis and for interval time distribution make in hours

David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 2 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Its that old "P3 could do it" chesnut.

In P3 you could ask for the "peak" or "average" requirement per day. Clearly a properly leveled schedule would have peak and average as the same value. Regretably P6 only allows you "average".

So you are not missing something. P6 is.