Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

import modified excel sheet to p3e

10 replies [Last post]
abdesalam obeidat
User offline. Last seen 9 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Hello,
I am trying to modify the resources budget and import it to p3e, but the p3e doesnot take the changes and keep the budget as before,
any help in this matter

Replies

Arnold Puy
User offline. Last seen 9 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,

A lot of Training Institution in your place. However, most of them are not teaching the quick methods & techniques. If you are really interested and willing to learn more especially the tricks you should hire a good one. Of course, it will cost you a lot.

Well, my advise to you if you have time to spend in playing you must also have time to spend in learning (Primavera).

Try to experiment, compare one thing to another. Open all the examples in P6 and try to observe how they did it. Try to read the function of each icon by using hint help and apply it. A lot of things you can do.

The most important thing, always visit www.planningplanet.com

Cheers,

Arnold
abdesalam obeidat
Hello Arnold,

Thanks alot man, this is awesome, I am wondering where I can find good tutorial for p3e.

regards
abdesalam
Arnold Puy
Hi Abdesalam,

I received your sample files. To get rid of confusion in modifying only Budgted Units in Excel Sheet, try to export "Resource Assignments" only as Export Type. Do not include other unnecessary Activities.

I already sent to your e-mail the steps with screenshot attached.

Hope this helps.

Arnold
Arnold Puy
Hi Abdesalam,

If you don’t mind, can you please send me a screenshot showing what you really need or you can send me your .xer file and I will show you how to do it. My email address is arnoldpuy31@yahoo.com

Thanks.

Arnold
abdesalam obeidat
Hi Arnold,

actualy I am selecting resource assignment, do I need to select resource assignment only and it will be oki, or I need to selct other tabs in export dialogue.

so far it didnot work out.

abdesalam
Arnold Puy
Hi Abdesalam,

I assumed that you select Export Type is “Activities” instead of “Resource Assignments”. If this is so, then it doesn’t work. You must select Resource Assignments as Export Type.
abdesalam obeidat
Thanks alot, I will try it and hope it works out.

abd
David Podmore
User offline. Last seen 12 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi,

When you expert to excel and wish to change budgeted units you will need to include the resource assignment data which will appear on a separate tab. (You must specify which fields you wish to export in the export dialogue) If you are using multiple resources per task then there will be a row per resource so you will get the same task ID several times. The Task budgeted units will be made up as the total of these resource rows.
Most importantly, when you change the budgeted units in the assignments tab note that they are NOT numbers. The figures are text/charaters and are thus preceeded by a ’

If you just type in 10 for ten hours you will not succeed. You must enter ’10

I suggest creating a dummy project with a few simple tasks and experiment with the process until you understand what works and what doesn’t.
abdesalam obeidat
thank you very much for your response, what happened is that I iexported from p3e to xls file, I changed the budher hours in the xls sheet and imported it again into p3e, but no changes happened, I have not changed in the format, all I did is changeing the values,
this is the format of the heading when exported to Xls file. ’Budgeted Units(h)
the opostrophy is always at the left of the numbers only.
Arnold Puy
Hi,

If you are trying to export to excel sheet and import again to p3e, make sure that the format did not change especially for " ’ " apostrophy in the beginning of the text & numbers.

Can u please cite an example what really happen in order for us to easily understand.

Arnold