Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Mater project and sub projects in P6

10 replies [Last post]
Mohammed Azharuddin
User offline. Last seen 14 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
In P3(Version 3), the sub projects were added to the group at the time of creating a project. In P6 I did not find anything like sub projects. One way is to create Node under EPS and open all the projects at one time. But as in P3 we cannot assign a Baseline to the materproject in P6. If any one has knowledge about it, please share with us all.

Regards,
Azhar

Replies

Mohammed Azharuddin
Thanks Oliver.Its complicated but I may get used to it.
Steven Oliver
User offline. Last seen 11 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
To retain relationships between projects, have a look at the Check Out/Check In functionality
K D
User offline. Last seen 15 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
Hi.
For question 1 : Yes you can create link between many subcontractor projects. Open them all at same time and assign normally.
For question 2 : I’ve never checked but I think the link will be intact.
Regards
Mohammed Azharuddin
Hi Dieter,

Thanks a lot. I have created 4 different projects for subcontractors. and the Master project for myself with activities mainly of design satge & Control mile stones.I have linked the activities from the respective subcontractor programmes to those mile stones.
*I would like to know whether we can interlink among the sub contractor projects?
*If all the projects are externally linked, then while exporting the files and importing back after feeding the progress the links will remain or we have to link again?

Regards,
Azhar

Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Mohammed
You can’t export WBS. In your case you’ll have to create different projects for each subcontractor and one for you - the "master project" and to link them. P6 is working the same way as p5. Each subcontractor can work with his schedule. After import you’ll do the overall schedule. If you’ll load them all, Primavera will regard them as just one project. For the later co-operation you’ll have to decide if you’ll export the project or EXCEL files for the update.
Be aware of some mines:
- Parameter settings for the database (hours per day..)
- Same data date for all projects before the overall schedule
- Options for import/export (read the help-function first!)
For me this is much easier than in P3.
Regards
Dieter
Mohammed Azharuddin
Hi Ronald,

Thanks a lot. So In a way I have to make sub Projects under WBS. I have came up with a situation where my project is divided into four sub projects with four different Contractors. I have to give the schedule to each Contractor, and they will be updating their program and will submit it back to me for the preparation of reports.

Can I Export only the WBS related to Contractor-1, and import it back after updating.and the same for other three contractors. Can I again accumulate the date under the same project.

Please could you tell whether it is Possible with P6 or is their any way to tackle such situation.

Regards,
Mohammed Azharuddin
Hi Kerwany,

Will Portfolio Analysis Help?
Portfolio Analysis is about organizing the projects. I am not aware of Portfolio Analysis.

Regards.
Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
With P6, you can create or designate any schedule to be a “Master Schedule” with the “sub-schedules” below that using the WBS. Then you need to link the Master Schedule to the others using inter-project logic ties. I know of several large projects that are run this way.

The real problem with this scheme is with updates. When they arrive, you have to start the whole process of creating or designating a new Master Schedule all over again. Schedule Analyzer Software (which I represent) has a module called “Master Switch” that automatically switches the old logic ties from the Master Schedule to the same activities in the new schedules. This is similar to the P3 subproject functionality and perhaps even more flexible.
John Raper
User offline. Last seen 8 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
That’s progress for you!
Johny Kesserwany
User offline. Last seen 7 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Mohammed,

P6 does not support subprojects!!!
and you’ll find that several helpful functions in P3 are missing in P6!!!
We upgrade and we lose functionnality! amazing no?

Regards
JK