Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

create numerous sub projects from master

7 replies [Last post]
John Smitt
User offline. Last seen 17 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
I hope someone can help on this.

I have one master project which has been used to build up activities on a number of smaller projects which all interconnect.
I would like to filter a number of activities then create a sub project with these but at the same time if I open the master project i can still see all activities. You can do this in P3. possibly called nesting (?)

My reason for this is that some projects are remote & on different timezones so updating will be easier come closeouts.

Replies

Paul Naughton
User offline. Last seen 10 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I’m not sure how the coding works if you copy the activities, I guess only the project ID will be re-coded.

I would cut and paste leaving only one of each activity, this would make updating easier.
John Smitt
thanks I’ll give it a go Paul, in pe activities are re-coded after copying into the new project does this also happen in p3e? I assume so otherwise you wouldn’t know what are new or old in the master and thus would have 2 of everything.
Paul Naughton
Apologies John,

You would not have the activities twice here, once in the master and once in the sub-project – but there shouldn’t be any problem with having all the sub projects open at the same time and scheduling on mass. This will give you the same functionality as one group. If you drop them all under a dedicated EPS you can roll up some of the data for reporting.

As for the relationships, when you paste you will get 3 boxes asking what you want to include; the third of these asks about relationships. Untick the box that mentions only retaining links for copied activities and all should be okay.

Regards.
John Smitt
surely just plonking activities into another project will negate the relationships and how would scheduling the master inturn schedule the other projects?
Paul Naughton
If you create the shells of the new projects and open the Master Schedule and the shells. You can then organise the Master Schedule so you can identify the sub-projects, cut (ctrl - x) and paste (ctrl - v) the activities to the new projects.

This should transfer everything except the WBS but I’d try it on a copy first to see your happy with the results.

Paul
John Smitt
thanks

I’m sure there is another way where the master project keeps the activities of the sub projects. I just can’t recall how to make sub projects from the master project
Raja Izat Raja Ib...
User offline. Last seen 13 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Hi John,
Maybe I can gave some idea that runs with P3, I dont know if this method could run in P3ec

1. Copy the origin file Apex but make sure your origin activities number is not more then 7 character.
2. Project Name Box - Name it (xxxx or what ever in Project name)
3. Project ID Box - Type the extend id (with 2 Alphabetical)what ever that can be understand and easy to identified (example : AB - Admin Building, SS - Substation etc)
4. Add following Charater Box like -, A , 1 to identified the diffrent of building 1 or 2.
5. Copy.
After copy open the file that U Create delete the unwanted activites. Now u got your sub directory of apex.

may this idea could help