Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Question?

9 replies [Last post]
Oliver Melling
User offline. Last seen 5 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: The GrapeVine
I have taken over a project and one of the activities is 100% complete.

It has a resource budget cost of £1000 and an expense budget cost of £500.

The earned value cost is £0.00

Why is there no earned value?

Replies

Steven Oliver
User offline. Last seen 11 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
In the Enterprise layout, view the "Settings" tab for your project details.

The "Baseline for Earned Value Calculations" should be set to "Project Baseline" and the Budget value for the activity must exist in that baseline.
Oliver Melling
Cheers Rodel.

I also have the problem that the budgeted cost of the activities is higher than the costs associated to with the activities. So i think i have a bit of work to do back-tracking the change notices of this project!!
Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 20 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Yes thats maybe the case. Work around is to remove the progress and press F5 function to refresh the PMDB database then flag the progress again and check if works.

Also you need to check if the settings under Admin preferences if the EV calculation from baseline is set to Budgeted Values with planned dates.

Note: EV always calculate from the baseline and not from current project unless you don’t have any assigned baseline or your baseline is your current project. You also need to check under Project window-> Settings-> Project settings what is the basis of your EV baseline calculation if Project baseline or users primary baseline.

HTH,
Rodel
Oliver Melling
I have altered all performance settings to activity %complete and this haS earnt the value for some of the activities.

With the current settings my EV should equal:

budgeted total cost X activity % complete.

However I still have an activity that is complete with expenses assigned and no earned value cost?

Is it because it has been added after the completion of the task?
Rodel Marasigan
Oliver,

There is something wrong with your performance % complete settings. You need to change the setting to Activity % Complete if you require EV. Your current settings is useless if you don’t have any WBS Milestone steps to get your performance % complete. You also need to check your performance % complete column at the activity window and compare it with activity % complete if they have the same progress.

HTH,
Rodel
Oliver Melling
There are no WBS milestones.

Similar activities are under each WBS element and they all have the same EV settings of custom % complete.

Rodel Marasigan
Oliver,

If custom % complete it means you are using WBS Milestone percent complete. Check your WBS Milestone if all has been progress or tick under WBS Milestone Tab on WBS window.

All those activities with EV are they under the same WBS with same settings?

HTH,
Rodel
Oliver Melling
Its on custom % complete?

But some activities have earnt value and other haven’t?
Rodel Marasigan
Oliver,

What settings or technique are you using for EV calculation? Is it Performance % Complete or WBS Milestone % complete? Check your Earned Value settings under WBS window.

HTH,
Rodel