Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Update Progress - Problem with actuals

7 replies [Last post]
Mark Chapman
User offline. Last seen 8 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I have noticed a problem in P5 that didnt exist in P3.

Each week/month I update the plan. I drag Progress spotlight (PS) to the new data date. There will be 3 types of activties (to simply things I have ignored the start date - assume all activities have started):

1. Those that are planned to finish within the window and do.
2. Those that are planned to finish within the window and don’t.
3. Those that are planned to finish outside of the window and now finish within.

I make changes to the activities where required. The bug I have found is those that come under No.3. In this case I drag the activity end date to within the SP window and then tick the AF box within the status tab.

After all the manual changes I then use the "Update Progress" option but this moves the activities in 3 to not complete.

What is happening? This worked in P3. Now using P5 SP4

Replies

Mouneer Adel
User offline. Last seen 10 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Hi There

I guess that the update progress function is looking only for the planned dates so if the planned finish date was in the window the activity will be completed even if the finish date is outside the window , so yo have to make sure that the planned dates as the start and finish dates before you update the progress , (if it is a big number of activities you can export the project to excel and do it and then import it back)

Mouneer
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
i guess Update Progress (function) automatically considers that your program is progressing exactly as actually planned, unless you had input the actuals...
Anoon Iimos
i guess Update Progress (function) automatically considers that your program is progressing exactly as actually planned, unless you had input the actuals...
Mark Chapman
Does everyone not use "Update Progress"? This option is just unusuable unless you remember to do what Rodel suggests (see below)!

I have just run the option and I had 2 activities in progress and not due to complete until next month. I run this option and it has completed them as per original plan. Is this the worst bug in P5?

Mark Chapman
Hi Rodel,

Thanks for suggestion. I will check this out later. I went onto POINT afterwards and found this is a deliberate bug! It’s something to do with update progress using the planned dates and not the es & ef dates. this is fine until an as is entered then es and ef differ to ps and pf. So by adding an af to an activity that’s started and the pf is beyond project spotlight then the dates will revert to pf! This is a bug.

I found some activities this morning with actuals and behind the DD line. I’m not sure how this has happened and will watch out in future weeks for this. I tried update progress and this didnt complete these activities as I had no spotlight. Then I tried applying actuals and this moved all the dates beyond the DD. I then had to restore a backup.

BTW - this problem is nothing to do with multiple projects but thanks for the suggestion Anoon.
Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 6 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Mark,

I notice the same only when the activity already start and drag the finish date within the SP window. The work around is to change the duration to change the end date when activity is already tick as started instead of dragging the bar.

HTH,
Rodel
Anoon Iimos
multiple projects with different data dates I guess?