Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Importing data into P6

2 replies [Last post]
James Barnes
User offline. Last seen 1 year 18 weeks ago. Offline
Good Morning,

We are currently using an Access database tool to generate resourced plancharts that we then import into P3.

If we migrate to P6, are we likely to find importation of simple database tables to generate activities from 3rd party a similar experience as with P3. I expect to need a new or modified import tool, but I’m not sure how well P6 supports importation of data for activity, logic and resource generation when compared with P3.

Replies

James Barnes
Thanks for the answer Paul,

We tend to build our coding structure manually in P3, matching that which we are building in our preparation package tehn run some to and fro testing to make sure we match (which we never do first time!) so P3e sounds like we can probably get it worknig.

Thanks again.

btw, Assuming you’re the same Paul Harris, I recently passed my copy of your excellent book on P3 fundamentals to a new guy who appears to be my unofficial apprentice!
Paul Harris
James

The importation of data into P5/6 is substantially different process to P3 as the database has more fields and operates differently.

The P5/6 Excel Import function will import most data but unless activity codes etc exist in the database the data is not imported. We are making substantial use of Custom User Fields to overcome these import problems.

It is possible to import the code data through the SDK.

Another big learning curve!

Paul E Harris
Eastwood Harris Pty Ltd, Melbourne, Australia
Planning and Scheduling Training Manual & Book Publishers & Consulting
www.eh.com.au